cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with propane connection to external cooker

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of purchasing a propane cooker to do seafood boils and maybe frying while we are camping.

Propane cooker

My 5th wheel does not have a port to connect external propane devices using the on board tanks.

My question is should I travel with a 20lb propane tank secured in the bed of my truck or have the onboard propane modified to allow an external connection?

As I see it traveling with a tank in truck bed could be dangerous if not secured properly. Having the onboard propane system modified to allow a connection needs to be done by a qualified technician. I maybe a little anal on safety but a mistake here could cost somebody their life. I also don't want to be cooking right beside my 5th wheel so a longer supply line would be in order.

For those of you that travel with one of these cookers how do you handle the propane connection?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
13 REPLIES 13

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
One of my first RVs had a Marshall regulator With the first and second stages separated by a quarter inch pipe nipple. I replaced that nipple with a tee, gas shut off valve and a 25 foot hose with the male GCA 600 connector on the end. I have 18 psi after the first stage and that is plenty of pressure to run any of the LP grills and cookers that use the disposable cylinders and their own regulator. I move that regulator from RV to RV and I will never part with it.
I think Rego still makes a LP regulator with automatic changeover and a pipe nipple in between the first and second stages so if a person wanted to get one of them they could do what I did. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6 lb cylinder that I bought years ago for 3 day canoe trips when we used to carry our camping gear with us Downriver. Later I bought an 11 lb cylinder to use with a tabletop Grill on weekend Campground trips. Between the two I have enough versatility, to run a tabletop Grill, on-demand water heater and Camp Chef type oven.

I don't have to worry about how much propane I use off the trailer cylinders since most of my camping has been in spring, late fall or early winter when I needed to run the heater. They are light enough to handle easily. They were purchased when they were relatively inexpensive. Nowadays they each one individually cost more than 20 lb cylinders. I have gotten the six pound cylinder recertified once when I had to change out the valve to the new type.

If you would be okay with getting a 20-pounder why not. If you can afford it you might even think about an 11 lb cylinder. You could even use it as a backup cylinder if the ones on the trailer run out like I did once in the middle of the night on the last night I was camping during the Christmas holidays.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've found the best way to secure a propane tank in the bed of a pickup is to use a Milk Crate. They are the prefect size to slide a tank into. Then I chain the tank,, not the crate,,, securely to a mounting point in the bed of the truck.

You don't want that tank sliding, or rolling around.

You Especially Don't Want It Flying Around In a Accident !!!

Chain it down.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Extend-a-stay fitting which is inserted before my onboard regulator. It came with a long hose to hook up a BBQ. I also carry 2 20# propane cylinders in the storage compartments well strapped down so they cannot move. I usually use the portable cylinders so that it's easy to move the BBQ or tabletop stove around and there is no tripping hazard like with the long hose connected to the MH. Lots easier to get a 20# cylinder refilled than breaking camp to get onboard tank refilled.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never have a problem carrying 20# bottle- in back of the truck. Rides just fine up against the tailgate.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
In one of my storage bays. LP tanks are rugged. I make sure the valve is firmly off.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
RockyMt wrote
"I travel with a 20lb tank for my bbq. I like that I can place it anywhere, and away for my RV."

Big Katuna wrote:
I consider filling the built built in tank a chore so I opt to carry 1-2 20# tanks.

I also run a propane campfire so like the mobility.

OP Here,

How do you secure the tanks?

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black iron pipe a outlet on your door side. Remove the regulator from BBQ. Awesome mod!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The additional tank is actually the best choice.

Else most RV dealers if you ask for an "Extend-a-flow" will know what you are talking about... And that is my suggestion

I have seen home brew solutions.. THEY SCARE ME. and that's not easy to do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I consider filling the built built in tank a chore so I opt to carry 1-2 20# tanks.

I also run a propane campfire so like the mobility.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carrying the 20 lb tank is a good option. If you add a connection, go with an Extend A Flow kit. Comes with the hose.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how easy it is to access the lines, tapping into the propane system can be pretty straight forward. One consideration is if you do it downstream of the coach's propane regulator, you will have to remove the regulator on the cooker and install some other kind of control valve. If you run coach regulated propane through the cookers regulator as well, there won't be enough pressure for the cooker to function properly.

Lines and disconnects are easy to find, I have a 12 ft line and quick disconnect where my home grill connects to the house natural gas system.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I travel with a 20lb tank for my bbq. I like that I can place it anywhere, and away for my RV. There are all kinds of hoses to connect your on board propane to your cooker. They are adapted(connected) without any major reconstruction.