cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help!

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
We are going trailer shopping tomorrow and I don't think that we are prepared. We need to REALLY know what we can buy.
We own a 2004 Suburban. I have the 3.73 ratio rear axle with a tow package. The engine is 5.3L. Does that mean I have a 5300 V8?
How do we know what we can tow?
Thank you!
21 REPLIES 21

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
What is it that you're going to be towing?

WoodGlue

That is what I am trying to learn. We are going to be in an area with some trailers to see tomorrow. We would like a light bunkhouse, we need to sleep 6. But we think a hybrid that we are going to see from a private party tomorrow might be what we need to do.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The number you need to be more concerned about is the payload rating. Realistically you will be limited to a trailer of about 6k GVWR max if you are toting a family around. We would need more info to really narrow it down. The GVWR of the tow vehicle would be a starting point and the number of family members and gear expected to be carried in the vehicle.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
I owned that vehicle once upon a time. Towed our popup we had at the time really well. I suspect your family is not always going to have a combined weight of 800 lbs. Unless you have 4 daughters.

My suggestion is to stay under 24-26' long because of trailer control/sway in the wind. Get a good trailer brake controller, WD bars/sway control and keep the total trailer weight under 6,500 lbs for comfortable towing leaving you a little power to spare.

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a 5300 (is that what 5.3L means?) with a 3.73 axle ratio, then my owners manual says I can tow 7700 lbs max trailer weight with 13,000lbs GCWR. So is that not what that means? My family of 6 weighs in at less than 800lbs.
So Donn, what does very little towing capacity mean?

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the light-weight travel trailers, get the right hitch / weight distribution bars and you will be fine. Enjoy the show!
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
What is it that you're going to be towing?

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
It means you have a 1500 Suburban. It also means that when fully loaded with family and stuff that you are dangerously close to the vehicles GVWR. which will leave you with very little in the way of towing capacity.