cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPO roof

reboo349
Explorer
Explorer
Have to have a new roof put on while in Florida looking at a TPO roof put on by A&A mobile service, question being he says they do not glue this roof down??? I thought they all used some type of adhesive during install,also looking @ the spray on roof seen at the Tampa RV show. Anyone ever use A&A or have experience with the TPO roof and install or the sprayed on roof
11 REPLIES 11

pbensen
Explorer
Explorer
JJ,

Thank you for your research on this issue. I do live in a colder climate (Michigan) so my roof has not seen the extreme high temperatures of its lifetime. I make sure if and when I replace my roof to get the latest spec TPO material.

Paul

JJBIRISH wrote:
I am just offering my opinion not a recommendation, all based on what I have read about the productโ€ฆ I am not claiming to be a expertโ€ฆ there are hundreds of claims but most are bias based on what is being sold by the posterโ€ฆ
And IMO, TPO would be my last choice for my trailerโ€ฆ

there has been plenty written about the shortcomings of TPOโ€ฆ its strong point is its seams that shouldnโ€™t be a problem for RVโ€™s that donโ€™t have seams to begin withโ€ฆ since it last reformulation (2010 or 2011) the industry has been extremely silent without touting that things have been finally resolvedโ€ฆ is that a good sign or are they hiding new concernsโ€ฆ
itโ€™s popularity seems to be more along the lines of cost, not qualityโ€ฆ

โ€œLongevity
By far the most important aspect that will determine the longevity of a single ply roofing membrane is the method by which the overlapping seams have been attached together. Permanently attached seams are the safest solution, and improper attachment can be the cause of 99% of leaks.

It is difficult to determine the longevity of TPO roofing membranes for a couple of reasons. First, this is a fairly new roofing product, there are no TPO membranes in the US today that are older than 15 years. Second, TPO membranes continue to be an experimental products- they are all in their 2nd, 3rd and in some cases 4th generation of formulations, so it is not possible to definitively say how long any of these will last. Moreover, many TPO products have been pulled off the market in the past both for seam and material failures.โ€

โ€œDurability
An EPDM roof has a solid reputation for durability. Made of rubber compound, EPDM roofs have been on the market for decades- having properly tapered seams and detailed flashings, an EPDM roof will last up to 25 years. It is recognized in the industry as a dependable roofing material that offers resistance against ultraviolet light, ozone, oxidants and severe weather conditions. An EPDM membrane will also perform better than TPO in colder climates.โ€

click

2002 Jayco 324G 33ft quad bunk 7200# max loaded (long trip)
2001 Econoline E-150 Traveler 5.4L w/3.73:1 rear gears
Hensley Arrow hitch and Brakesmart brake contoller

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I am just offering my opinion not a recommendation, all based on what I have read about the productโ€ฆ I am not claiming to be a expertโ€ฆ there are hundreds of claims but most are bias based on what is being sold by the posterโ€ฆ
And IMO, TPO would be my last choice for my trailerโ€ฆ

there has been plenty written about the shortcomings of TPOโ€ฆ its strong point is its seams that shouldnโ€™t be a problem for RVโ€™s that donโ€™t have seams to begin withโ€ฆ since it last reformulation (2010 or 2011) the industry has been extremely silent without touting that things have been finally resolvedโ€ฆ is that a good sign or are they hiding new concernsโ€ฆ
itโ€™s popularity seems to be more along the lines of cost, not qualityโ€ฆ

โ€œLongevity
By far the most important aspect that will determine the longevity of a single ply roofing membrane is the method by which the overlapping seams have been attached together. Permanently attached seams are the safest solution, and improper attachment can be the cause of 99% of leaks.

It is difficult to determine the longevity of TPO roofing membranes for a couple of reasons. First, this is a fairly new roofing product, there are no TPO membranes in the US today that are older than 15 years. Second, TPO membranes continue to be an experimental products- they are all in their 2nd, 3rd and in some cases 4th generation of formulations, so it is not possible to definitively say how long any of these will last. Moreover, many TPO products have been pulled off the market in the past both for seam and material failures.โ€

โ€œDurability
An EPDM roof has a solid reputation for durability. Made of rubber compound, EPDM roofs have been on the market for decades- having properly tapered seams and detailed flashings, an EPDM roof will last up to 25 years. It is recognized in the industry as a dependable roofing material that offers resistance against ultraviolet light, ozone, oxidants and severe weather conditions. An EPDM membrane will also perform better than TPO in colder climates.โ€

click

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

pbensen
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Our 2002 Jayco 324G was built with a TPO roof. I purchased the trailer seven years ago, I do not cover it. I have never had a problem with it. I do my regular maintenance every year which includes cleaning it with my Hotsey steam cleaner and applying self leveling sealer over the sealed joints when they start cracking. The roof is if excellent condition and in my estimation has many years of life left on it. I would strongly recommend TPO for a roof material. If and when I replace the roof I would definitely replace it with TPO.
2002 Jayco 324G 33ft quad bunk 7200# max loaded (long trip)
2001 Econoline E-150 Traveler 5.4L w/3.73:1 rear gears
Hensley Arrow hitch and Brakesmart brake contoller

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
You mentioned, A&A Mobile Service, does he have a shed to work under while doing the work?
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
TPO is widely used for large commercial roofs as a covering so if there were problems this would be very well known, and it has not been a problem. The primary drawback is that it is a thin membrane that does not resist mechanical tearing but this is not likely to be a problem on a roof surface.

For a new RV I would rather have a fiberglass roof but for recovering the roof the TPO is going to last as long as you have the RV.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Yes TPO is glued down. TPO has been around longer than EPDM. It was originally formulated by Firestone and has been licensed to other manufacturers. There are several advantages to TPO over EPDM. First it is more tear resistant...second can be repaired to never come apart where EPDM can not....its life is generally longer than EPDM....it does not sluff off like EPDM causing fewer black streaks and is easily cleaned where as EPDM should NEVER be scrubbed or treated as petro chemicals shorted EPDM life. Both materials were invented as a commercial roof membrane. When TPO seams are glued they fuse just like pvc plumbing fittings....EPDM does not and relies on the flexible adhesive to maintain the joint. Back in 06 and 07 there were TPO problems and leaks. It was a two fold problem...improper install and the felt backing that was applied by the membrane material manufacturer was too wide. This was taken care of in 08. I had a unit that had to have a total roof replacement because of the problem and it was paid for by the manufacturer not a penny by me. I have had more than one of both TPO and EPDM roofs and prefer TPO. Being in construction I have seen these for years and TPO is far superior IMHO

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
While in florida, check out Rvroof.com
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JJBIRISH wrote:
I have never been a fan of TOPโ€ฆ IMHO, no one really knows what TPO isโ€ฆ itโ€™s been reformulated 4 or 5 maybe 6 times by now and off the roll you donโ€™t know which formulation you have or are buyingโ€ฆ each reformulation claiming to have corrected problems of previous versionsโ€ฆ who knows when they will actually get it right or when a formulation will be around long enough to prove itselfโ€ฆ older versions of TPO used on RVโ€™s have caused extensive roof damage due to their fleece backing, wicking water to large areasโ€ฆ

I think the latest un-backed version of TPO for RVโ€™s is only about 20mil, EPDM used by the RV industry is normally about 40 mil, and commercial grade EPDM is normally 60 milโ€ฆ the new TPO might be the greatest product ever, only time will tell if it is, or if there will be another reformulation comingโ€ฆ

I would look into EPDM for your roof, or even the spray on roof that I know nothing aboutโ€ฆ
personally I prefer single sheet aluminum roofing after having many of them in the past and still owning 2 trailers over 20 years old with it and never a single leakโ€ฆ

Ya, but, you most likely can not add a sheet metal roof if it didn't originally have one.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been a fan of TOPโ€ฆ IMHO, no one really knows what TPO isโ€ฆ itโ€™s been reformulated 4 or 5 maybe 6 times by now and off the roll you donโ€™t know which formulation you have or are buyingโ€ฆ each reformulation claiming to have corrected problems of previous versionsโ€ฆ who knows when they will actually get it right or when a formulation will be around long enough to prove itselfโ€ฆ older versions of TPO used on RVโ€™s have caused extensive roof damage due to their fleece backing, wicking water to large areasโ€ฆ

I think the latest un-backed version of TPO for RVโ€™s is only about 20mil, EPDM used by the RV industry is normally about 40 mil, and commercial grade EPDM is normally 60 milโ€ฆ the new TPO might be the greatest product ever, only time will tell if it is, or if there will be another reformulation comingโ€ฆ

I would look into EPDM for your roof, or even the spray on roof that I know nothing aboutโ€ฆ
personally I prefer single sheet aluminum roofing after having many of them in the past and still owning 2 trailers over 20 years old with it and never a single leakโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume the spray on is rhino lining or lineX? seems more permanent than tpo to me.
bumpy