cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Here we go, another EZ lube debate!

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
I am the owner of a 2011 Keystone Sprinter with EZ lube hubs. I have been using the zerk fitting for annual greasing using a manual gun for 5 years. I also perform annual manual brake adjustments. Spring is here and I am getting ready to pull the hubs for a brake/bearing inspection for the first time. The question is - will I find my brake assembly coated in grease? Or will the brakes be clean and grease free?

I know I have noticed significant decline in my braking strength over the last couple years but have no knowledge yet as to why. I will post my results in a couple weeks. Hopefully with pics. I have no pony in this race, so am not prejudging the result one way or the other.

What do you think I will find? Place your bets!!!
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2
86 REPLIES 86

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone thinks doing a bearing repack is a hassle, you should try replacing bearings... The bearing cup that is in the drums are extremely hard to remove because there is almost no protruding lip on the cup to get a drift onto.

I just did four and did not have any problem. maybe your drift is too soft or more patience was in order.

bluefishgary
Explorer
Explorer
Hi just to let you know that on my 3axle I did all the wheel bearing and replaced all seals. All the bearing looked great.one seal was seeping a little , but it did not get on brakes. I did use 6 cans on break clean, one for each wheel.Took my time cleaned and repack the hubs.Packed the bearing by hand.Start to finish may be 6 hrs total.
Now just to clean up
2019 Ford DRW C/C
2017 Vintage with living quarters 44'3 Axle
I caught a fish once -it was fun

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our bearing story: Our dealer pumped in grease during the PDI (head tech said they do that on all PDIs) which caused grease to get onto the brakes. After one season while in for some misc. warranty work, I asked them to take the drums off and inspect the bearings and brakes and they said the seals had blown and had leaked grease. They wanted to charge us $1K to fix it (!!). I called Alko and said they would make sure they would cover the cost and would work it out with the dealer. Got our TT back and assumed they replaced the seals and put it all back together properly.

The following season, on the way back home I discovered one drum was running hotter than the rest. Took drums off to inspect bearings and brakes and found 2 colors of grease in there and grease on the brakes - clearly the dealer had not done anything and just slapped it back together (wouldn't be surprised if they submitted a claim for installing new seals & repack). I also found that the dealer had over-tightened the axle nuts - I needed a wrench to undo them. I replaced the cheap Ch*nese bearings with US made Timkens which a local supplier luckily had in stock. Went on a long road trip last summer through 7 states and zero issues with the new bearings and repack job I did myself.

Morale of story is, it's possible you could even have problems with your seals & bearings from day one due to what the dealer did. Just can't trust a dealer. From many threads I've read on EZ-lube axles, you just shouldn't use them and should remove, inspect and hand repack. You could always get a shop to do it for $200-300 or so.

If anyone thinks doing a bearing repack is a hassle, you should try replacing bearings... The bearing cup that is in the drums are extremely hard to remove because there is almost no protruding lip on the cup to get a drift onto.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I think some of you fellers aren't familiar with the EZ-Lube axles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0RKDGgDm8

Good video! Notice he said "MANUAL" grease gun.

Absolutely do not use a pneumatic grease gun for wheel bearings or ball joints for that matter. And if you feel more than just a little bit of resistance, stop and figure out why. Make sure your grease is compatible with the existing grease as well.

So true, when pumping grease into my MC trailers EZ Lubes I did not really feel much if any difference once the cavity was filled.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Absolutely do not use a pneumatic grease gun for wheel bearings or ball joints for that matter. And if you feel more than just a little bit of resistance, stop and figure out why. Make sure your grease is compatible with the existing grease as well.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hope you replaced the seals after that much time.
I decided to go disk was the primary reason I pulled it apart.
Cap, nut and washer is the only parts I kept.
For the annual inspections I saved... paid for the full set-up.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I an with timetoroll, i just done mine at the 7 year mark. got jumpy due to all the hype.

things were good to go, put it back together and don't know when I will do that nut roll again. :C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Just pulled my drums after 10 years. Maybe 30,000 to 50,000 miles.
My cheapo China bearings looked perfect.
Mobil 1 grease still had the original red color.
I will check them again in 10 more.

Hope you replaced the seals after that much time.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just pulled my drums after 10 years. Maybe 30,000 to 50,000 miles.
My cheapo China bearings looked perfect.
Mobil 1 grease still had the original red color.
I will check them again in 10 more.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^^^Do you pull the brakes on your car/truck yearly? They generally get a lot more use than the trailer. Some inspection ideas have merit, and others not so much.

Uh, not always. When I got my Airstream I asked the mechanic about yearly inspections and he told me you should go by mileage more than just a calendar. He mentioned 10k miles. I have been averaging close to 8K a year so, no I don't do it yearly. Some years yes, other years it is more like a year and a half.

Good catch.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I suggest just doing it right when you do the annual bearing inspection and forget the useless and troublesome grease fitting.

Ditto.

There really is no need to continually pump new grease in the fitting. The grease that is in there doesn't get out (or go away). Do periodic dissemble, clean/inspect, repack the bearings, all is good.
Then go camping.
Bob

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
They were new bearings purchased from eTrailer that were included with new Dexter drums and used on a travel trailer. They were a cheap Chinese brand that is also found on new trailers.

In PA, one brake on each axle is inspected. I hate inspections because of the many problems caused, not cured, by the inspectors. But I guess it is a necessary evil because so many would drive junk.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, you're supposed to have your brakes inspected in Missouri too, but they generally only pull one wheel, and it's the wheel with the disc, and not a drum. I've never had a drum brake wheel pulled. And let's be realistic: it's for revenue generation, safety is a secondary concern.

Those bad bearings were on your car/truck? Highly unusual.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"