cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High altitude cooking

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons this summer and I'm planning ( at least in my head). I know @ Fishing Bridge there are no outside fires allowed so that leaves out grilling. I've tried to cook in a crockpot in Colorado before & that didn't work. What suggestions do you have for cooking dinner meals ? I'm sure we'll be out exploring during the day & am planning on taking lunch meals with us, but I know my bunch. They'll be hungry in the evenings!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
19 REPLIES 19

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we had no problems cooking at Yellowstone, with our inside stove nor our outside grill.
just took longer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have spaghetti on the menu, the best way to do that is cook it at home and then just throw it in the hot water long enough to heat it through. Cooking spaghetti at altitude can be an exercise in frustration.

We lived in Colorado when I was a kid, and a pressure cooker was normal cooking equipment.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Thom0209 I have Sean larger dung piles ther and don't plan to go back. :E
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Another way of thinking of it is like you got a new stove, it just takes a bit of getting use to.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

MrWizard
I have never camped at 10,000 ft
My highest hiking has been just about 8300 ft , My Lassen Calif
My highest camping and cooking around 7200 ft
But usually lower than 6000ft

It's a matter of time, water doesn't get as hot, so it just takes longer too cook, it will come to a boil faster at a lower temp, and you turn it down to a low simmer and cook longer
This is soup ,stews, etc... baking with flour is different, frying and grilling, there is almost no difference, meat and fat melt and fry at the same temp,
Water boiling is a matter of air pressure
Tea or coffee let it steep a little longer, because of the lower water temp
If you use instant it won't make much difference, a little more stirring to dissolve it.
With a crock pot and water boiling out faster at lower temp, you can add a little more water before or during the cooking, it's the cooking time factor that increases because the water is at a lower temp
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
At sea level the boiling point of water is 212 degrees F.
At 10,000 ft elevation the boiling point is 194 degrees F.

Increase simmering time about 10%.
Advanced RV Sprinter

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've never had problems with the crockpot or cooking up to 10,000 elevation. Just adjust cooking time and if using boxed items, read the directions for 'high altitude' adjustments. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
About the only real concession to "high altitude" cooking is the time it takes to boil water and cook meals that use fluids. It just takes a little longer but it is certainly not impossible or even very hard. We have tent camped, truck camped and FW camped for about 50 years and have not found it very hard to make meals out of anything we choose. Just take your time and don't hurry and you'll be fine. You will probably have more problems hiking at "high" altitude than you will cooking, the air is a bit thinner at altitude so the lungs have to work a bit harder when you hike.
John A. Lichty

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane grills are allowed at Fishing Bridge. The only issue is that they must not be left outside unattended. When you are done and the grill is cooled off, simply put it away and you will be fine.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
" I know @ Fishing Bridge there are no outside fires allowed so that leaves out grilling."

I just checked a Yellowstone Park/Fishing Bridge website. It stated that propane stoves and grills are normally not restricted. However, campfires and "Campfire in a Can" are not allowed.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Not trying to belittle your post, but I don't understand. The altitude at Teton Village is roughly 6300' according to Google Earth. That hardly qualifies as high altitude in my experience since we live at 8200' in Colorado and have for 25 years. The only issue we have is baking. You always use less fluid and more flour. We routinely camp at 10000' using crock pots, grilling etc. with no issues. Water does boil at a lower temperature and that difference is noticeable when approaching 10K feet.

Couldn't agree more - we live at 6,000 ft in Colorado,and have no issues cooking anything and use crockpot all the time, both at home and when in the higher mountain areas. We often have a crockpot running while travelling - using an inverter - just leave the crockpot in the sink. We also use Dutch Oven in the camfile at times - make some great peach cobbler! ๐Ÿ™‚

We also have an electric pressure cooker which is far quicker and easier to use than one that would sit on the stove top.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Mama wrote:
OP here... I just knew I didn't have luck with crockpot before..and being from 600' elevation, CO, MT. & WY is high elevation for us.

For cooking purposes, many boxes of prepared dinners have instructions for "high altitude", which in many cases is anything over 4000 feet. As OP stated, they are at 600 ft...in that case, western Kansas would be "high altitude"!

We've cooked for a number of years using a crock pot. As others have stated, just make some adjustments to fine tune the cooking. We always use the low temp setting and are usually back at the trailer for the last hour or so, to check on the progress.

We've also used the one pan method, a la, hamburger or tuna helper type meals...of our own making. Chili is also a good one pot dinner and can be cooked inside on the stove or on an outside stove.

Do a Google search for "one pan meal" and you'll find a lot of suggestions.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Ninja sometimes instead of a regular crockpot. It can be used as a crockpot or used as a small oven. It holds more also. We also have learned due to fire restrictions, mainly out west, we rarely use our charcoal grill and instead depend on our electric grill outside.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
OP here... I just knew I didn't have luck with crockpot before..and being from 600' elevation, CO, MT. & WY is high elevation for us.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT