cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch and components selection

Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
We have our trailer, a Shamrock 26RS. We have pretty much settled on a tow vehicle, a 2005 Nissan Armada. Now I'm trying to link those components together with a hitch.

When I'm shopping for hitches, I need to know actual weights. Well, I can't take it to a scale until I get a hitch. And I can't get a hitch until I know the weights. What to do? Do I just pick a number, say 90% of max cargo weight in the trailer? And then pick a number for tongue weight as well? I know what we are aiming for with tongue weight, but no way to know if we will hit that number until we get to a scale.

We haven't loaded the trailer yet, but even if we had, I can't safely measure tongue weight in its current location. It is parked on a significant slope and I'm afraid that if I tried to measure tongue weight, it would shift and fall off the scale setup.

I feel like I'm in a catch-22. Can't move the trailer until we get a hitch, but can't get a hitch until we take the trailer to a scale to weigh it.
7 REPLIES 7

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
For comparison my trailer stock has 650 lbs tounge weight and I have 1200 lb bars. 1200 lbs is the max but not the min. Look up equalizer brand hitches. They have a calculator that will tell you which hitch would fit you best. Not knowing anything about your trailer, I have a feeling it's lighter than mine (6500lbs dry). I would guess 1000 would be a good size. Always better to go a tad bigger as you can use less tension but its harder to go bigger once you buy too small

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, if you go with GVWR and 15% of tongue weight - you're covered for a worst case scenario.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
Assume a loaded TT weight of 6000#.

13% of 6000# is 780#.

Get a WDH rated for a tongue weight of 800#.

Ron

Brian_B1
Explorer
Explorer
Chaos wrote:
We have our trailer, a Shamrock 26RS. We have pretty much settled on a tow vehicle, a 2005 Nissan Armada. Now I'm trying to link those components together with a hitch.

When I'm shopping for hitches, I need to know actual weights. Well, I can't take it to a scale until I get a hitch. And I can't get a hitch until I know the weights. What to do? Do I just pick a number, say 90% of max cargo weight in the trailer? And then pick a number for tongue weight as well? I know what we are aiming for with tongue weight, but no way to know if we will hit that number until we get to a scale.

We haven't loaded the trailer yet, but even if we had, I can't safely measure tongue weight in its current location. It is parked on a significant slope and I'm afraid that if I tried to measure tongue weight, it would shift and fall off the scale setup.

I feel like I'm in a catch-22. Can't move the trailer until we get a hitch, but can't get a hitch until we take the trailer to a scale to weigh it.

I understand the question perfectly. I am in the same situation. I will just have to guesstimate like others suggested.
96 coachman catalina 198CB Ultra-Lite. 19'-11" long, 7'-10" wide, and 8'-9" tall (plus AC) as well as a borrowed truck.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would add about 200-300lbs to the advertised brochure tongue weight and purchase a hitch with bars rated 200-300lbs above that number.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Go with 15% of GVWR & pick a bar that spans that weight. My previous TT was 4000 lbs & I picked an 800 lb trunion bar. My tongue weight when fully loaded was about 500 lb. I actually bought a tongue scale. A great piece of equipment. Why I figure 15% is yiu really want a bar weight that will span your variable tongue weight depending on load.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I might be confused by your question. (I often am confused)

Very rough estimate that will work...Take the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the trailer and multiply that number by .13 (13%). This will be a good safe 'starting point' for your tongue weight.

To be really safe use 15%.

The GVWR should be on a sticker inside of a cabinet door in the trailer.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro