cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch-mounted motorcycle rack

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
My toad is a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The Caravan is equipped with a Draw-Tite 1-1/4” class II hitch which has a rated tongue weight of 300 lbs. My motorcycle has a wet weight of 280 lbs, the motorcycle rack and needed 1-1/4” to 2” adapter weighs 50 lbs, thereby pushing the tongue weight to 330 lbs or 10% over the manufacturers stated weight. Before I go to the bother and expense of reequipping my Caravan with a class III/IV hitch (for only a 50 lb tongue weight capacity gain) I have to ask if anyone has used one of these hitch-mounted motorcycle racks under similar conditions.

In addition, I’ve also thought about putting a trailer hitch extension on my rigs class IV RV trailer hitch turning it into both a trailer hitch for my toad and a motorcycle rack for my motorcycle. However, the leverage created by such an extension concerns me. I currently carry my motorcycle in the rear of my Caravan during relocations but loading/unloading is a royal pain.

What to do, what to do? If only I had an unlimited budget!

Steve
12 REPLIES 12

Extremist
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
X-2 Versahaul. 3000lb additional towing limit is why I use it on the jeep, not the RV. Had two metal plates attached to hitch undercarriage attaching hitch to bumper as well for reinforcement, and unibody braced. Used mainly for hauling only. Although I've driven the jeep short distance w/scoot loaded, I avoid it. It ain't going nowhere unless the rear of the jeep goes with it. 🙂 I think you'll be ok, 50lb over, I wouldn't worry about it. My set up weights about 500lbs.

Click For Full-Size Photo.

Nice Big Ruck! I have a clone and use the same hauler on my Jeep Commander or the back of the 31' Class C. Works great!

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
Since you frame is not a unibody, I think you'll be fine. Not sure of the effects of the front end being higher on a tow dolly? Hope it doesn't act tail heavy and weave? Good luck.

I've already been hauling the motorcycle inside the Caravan with no problem (other than it's a pain to get out). I'm thinking that at about 300 lbs total weight of the bike and C channel frame I doubt that it'll be a problem. Not to mention the fact that front wheel drive vehicles tend to be front end heavy just by the way they're built.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of building my own carrier, this way I can haul the cycle with me when I go exploring and have it to use out in the boonies where my Caravan can't go.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you frame is not a unibody, I think you'll be fine. Not sure of the effects of the front end being higher on a tow dolly? Hope it doesn't act tail heavy and weave? Good luck.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
First I want to thank all y’all for responding to my questions. After reading over the various responses, I’m thinking the best thing for me would be to simply remove my trailer hitch and bolt in some thick C channel brackets with the bolts that formerly held the trailer hitch in place. These are the existing bolts that hold the bumper brackets in place (I’d also replace the bolts with some new hardened steel bolts). That way I can mount a dedicated motorcycle rack that I’ll know will be strong enough and will also lift the cycle and rack high enough for adequate ground clearance when the Caravans towed with the tow dolly.
The following is a side cross/section diagram (cartoon) of what I have in mind.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Found this when I was looking at doing the same thing.

Basically you need to calculate the "Mechanical Disadvantage" of your simple machine.

Measure the distance from the "truck end" of the supporting bar to the "face" of the receiver. ("A" ) Measure the distance from the receiver "face" to the center of the bikes gravity. ("B")

Divide measurement B by measurement A, then take that number and multiply it by the weight of the bike.

So if A = 9" and B = 18" then B divided by A = 2. If the bike weighs 500 lbs, then the effective weight on the hitch is 1000 pounds.

Basically, the face of the receiver is your fulcrum, the portion of the load bearing bar inside the receiver is the "effort" arm, and the portion between the receiver face and the center of gravity of the bike is the "resistance" arm.

If you do these calculations for your proposed setup I think you'll find it can't (or shouldn't) be done.

Woody69
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Your hitch may be rated for 300# tongue weight but it is NOT rated for 300# leveraged out on an arm and bouncing.

At least get a class IV receiver and then do frequent visual inspections.

I agree. BIG difference of having 300#'s on the hitch ball, versus 300+#'s hanging 3' behind the hitch. I wouldn't want to arrive at my destination only to find out my cargo was no longer there !
2004 31' Gulf Stream Prairie Schooner 5er

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Valkyriebush, what you've done is what I've been thinking about doing. However, I have to use a tow dolly on my rig which may not allow enough ground clearance. Another thing I was planning was to simply weld in frame brackets and use some steel C channels bolted to the frame brackets for a semi-permanent motorcycle carrier on my Caravan. That way I could mount the carrier higher up to allow for the extra ground clearance I'd need with the tow dolly. It's just that those hitch mounted carriers are so much more convenient!(heavy sigh)

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
X-2 Versahaul. 3000lb additional towing limit is why I use it on the jeep, not the RV. Had two metal plates attached to hitch undercarriage attaching hitch to bumper as well for reinforcement, and unibody braced. Used mainly for hauling only. Although I've driven the jeep short distance w/scoot loaded, I avoid it. It ain't going nowhere unless the rear of the jeep goes with it. 🙂 I think you'll be ok, 50lb over, I wouldn't worry about it. My set up weights about 500lbs.

Click For Full-Size Photo.
2000 Jeep GC
2003 VTX 1800

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
double post sorry.
2000 Jeep GC
2003 VTX 1800

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Kurbennett wrote:
The Versa Haul VH55 is a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier that allows you to hook a trailer up to it as well. Would require a Class 4 Hitch on the motorhome. Not sure how you would connect your TOAD up to it though but its worth a look.

Dang! Close but no cigar. The Versa Haul VH55 would be perfect except that it limits my towing weight to 3,000lbs.

Steve

Kurbennett
Explorer
Explorer
The Versa Haul VH55 is a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier that allows you to hook a trailer up to it as well. Would require a Class 4 Hitch on the motorhome. Not sure how you would connect your TOAD up to it though but its worth a look.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch may be rated for 300# tongue weight but it is NOT rated for 300# leveraged out on an arm and bouncing.

At least get a class IV receiver and then do frequent visual inspections.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900