cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch mounted mud flaps

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm looking at getting s set of hitch mounted mud flaps, to better protect the front end of what I tow.

There's numerous brands out there, so I'm looking for people's experience / opinions on the brand they've used.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
20 REPLIES 20

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
MM49 wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
I'm looking at getting s set of hitch mounted mud flaps, to better protect the front end of what I tow.

There's numerous brands out there, so I'm looking for people's experience / opinions on the brand they've used.
Don't get the large truck type mud flaps.They create much more turbulance and more debre to be kicked up. Use the correct size mud flap close to the rear truck tire.
MM49

Interesting feedback on the large semi truck mud flaps.

I have considered making a set of hitch mounted mud flaps myself, and was going to use the large semi truck mud flaps. BUT.. this would be used in the winter to stop all the slop that is thrown on the front of my clamshell snowmobile trailer. Do you think they will work for that purpose?

I had considered making a "fringe" (or whatever you want to call the "skirt" style! Lol) type also. One that you can buy the seperate pieces, then just make my own frame/bracket.

I have had the large mud flaps on my hitch mounted system for many years and they do protect my trailer without any of the issues mentioned here, like turbulence, lost fuel mileage, etc.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Use the correct size mud flap close to the rear truck tire.
MM49

A flap mounted to the rear wheel opening, behind the rear tie doesn't prevent road debris and road spray from hitting the trailer. A hitch mounted flap will greatly reduce it.
Bob

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
deltabravo wrote:

Don't get the large truck type mud flaps.They create much more turbulance and more debre to be kicked up. Use the correct size mud flap close to the rear truck tire.
MM49

Interesting feedback on the large semi truck mud flaps.

I have considered making a set of hitch mounted mud flaps myself, and was going to use the large semi truck mud flaps. BUT.. this would be used in the winter to stop all the slop that is thrown on the front of my clamshell snowmobile trailer. Do you think they will work for that purpose?

I had considered making a "fringe" (or whatever you want to call the "skirt" style! Lol) type also. One that you can buy the seperate pieces, then just make my own frame/bracket.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

MM49

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the enkay Rock tamers.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bedlam
Interesting. I run mine almost all the time and all the trips through June will be with my trailer in tow. I may have one Quincy trip to test mileage before hitching back up for the Colorado Springs gathering in late July.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I bought a set of Rock Tamers. THey are very nice. They do a good job protecting the trailers I haul - mine and the ones I deliver to Dealers.

I took them off Thursday night because I wanted to see if they were the cause of my lower MPGs... low and behold, after running two trips without them, I've concluded they WERE the cause.

They make 2.5 mpg hit running empty, and about a 2mpg running with a trailer.
Sounds odd, but it's true.

This is with them on my 06.

On my dually with AF811 camper, they probably won't affect the MPG since the truck is running heavy and has bad MPG anyway.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have found using my dirt skirt that the hitch mounted flaps can move around on the mount. The bar supporting the skirt, when it moves rubs the bumper causing a wear mark along the bottom lip of the bumper.

I am in the process of making a permanent mud flap. I am making it high enough so it won't drag when the fiver is attached. It is likely to be high when not towing but I also have regular mud flaps that came on the truck.

To make it I got some conveyor belt from brother and will get some steel from BIL. A few bolts and a couple of u-bolts, maybe a little paint on the steel and it's done.
Dan

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Just seen you wanted hitch mounted flaps,Sorry

Bedlam
I remember reading a warning about letting your flaps drag when towing at speed. The reason I went with mine is that the height is adjustable. You cut the flap down the first time, but the arms holding the flaps have a good 6-8" height adjustment range.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Road Wings which also mount on the hitch. I like them and the same set has been on two trucks with only replacing the flap due to a height difference. I have found that they do help a lot keeping the front of the trailer protected and clean. I have not seen the issue that Tom/Barb stated about large flaps causing rocks to fly up. Maybe he means those large one piece flap. But I have one of those on the rear of my 5th wheel to protect the boat when double towing and it also works fine.

Bedlam
They look like this when the trailer is attached:

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
No, I have it as far back as possible.

Ah... the "other" end of the SuperTruss.

I also have regular mud flaps, ProFlaps (on the 06 and 09)

Thanks for the picture.

Bedlam
No, I have it as far back as possible. Both my trucks have regular mud flaps, but my Rock Tamers are positioned lower and even prevent road spray.