cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honest Question

MoSmith1310
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully not a dumb question, but is there any reason why a vehicle that can be towed 4 down behind a motorhome would not be towable on a tow dolly?
2002 Allegro Bus 40RP
2011 Silverado Z71
10 REPLIES 10

fighterpilota
Explorer
Explorer
Answer to why tow on dolly if towable 4 down. In our case want to be able to tow our vehicle, plus three different grandsons vehicles. Our choice is dolly with surge brakes and wireless mag. brake kit. Don't have to buy tow bar, brake package or hookup plate for one vehicle to be able to tow it 4 down. The others can't be towed 4 down, so since have to get a dolly why spend the extra 2000 dollars to get one to tow 4 down. It isn't like we are full time so tow dolly no big deal.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My Subaru, stick shift, can be towed 4 down but not on a dolly.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Why on earth would you want to tow a vehicle on a dolly if that vehicle is towable four down. It is so much easier to tow four down than having to use a dolly. I can understand using a dolly if the vehicle you have cannot be towed four down, but having a vehicle that can be towed four down and putting it on a dolly instead makes no sense to me.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

MoSmith1310
Explorer
Explorer
First let me say thanks for the help. I would like to get a crew cab Nissan Frontier 4wd with manual transmission however I am having a hard time finding a good used on so I may end up with a VW Jetta diesel.
2002 Allegro Bus 40RP
2011 Silverado Z71

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda CRV All wheel drive can be towed 4 down but never on a dolly or 2 wheels only down, front or rear. If towing on a wrecker, it needs to be a "sled" type wrecker so all wheels are up and not turning.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Which vehicle(s) are you considering as a toad?
You may get a more specific answer to your question.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It's definitely an issue with many AWD vehicles. So yes.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I have read about this on a number of vehicles. You really have to check with the owners manual on each vehicle. I think it is mainly with AWD and 4WD vehicles.

For example, my Jeep with Quadra-Drive II can be towed 4-down, but not on a dolly. The manual says "Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing".
Roaming Full Timer

MoSmith1310
Explorer
Explorer
Moving up to motorhome from 5th wheel. I found a site that list vehicles that can be towed 4 down behind a motorhome without mods, but if I chose tow dolly route are there any restrictions to be aware of?
2002 Allegro Bus 40RP
2011 Silverado Z71

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
:h

Trick question?