cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horrible smell from RV toilet - any recommendations?

WICampers
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading out to Yellowstone this summer with our travel trailer and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for eliminating the smell coming from the toilet. It gets worse with humidity.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
Jim, Sherry and Jackson
2019 Chevy Silverado
2016 C193BH Sun Valley Cloud Series by Evergreen

WI Rally Attendance: 5
35 REPLIES 35

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Change your diet?:)

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see my post, sorry about the double
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
dump it and put in a couple of bottles of peroxide from the drug store add some water. drive
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
Peroxide is cheap
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
After emptying the black water tank, fill it about 1/3 to 1/2 way full, and go for a drive. The sloshing will help clean the tank out.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Muddin_mavric
Explorer
Explorer
We had a dometic model 300 that was know to be defective from the factory and even though it was 5 years old they stood behind there product and sent us a new one. Our whole camper smelled like an out house. I flushed the black tank and put all the chem I had In There and it still stank. "Stuff" was leaking between the outside and the inside of the bowl.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
After you (finally) get it fixed, please report back as to what worked. It may help someone else in the future.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

WICampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advice. The humidity and heat have been terrible in WI this week which has made the odor worse. We have owned several other travel trailers but don't recall it being this bad. The tank is "clean", but we will look into trying some of your suggestions.
Jim, Sherry and Jackson
2019 Chevy Silverado
2016 C193BH Sun Valley Cloud Series by Evergreen

WI Rally Attendance: 5

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Ah, and those that say they never have smells and no need to clean their tanks or rinse them out, well ... here ya go! If they didn't stink, then why all the chemicals, flushing and everything else that's done to keep smells at bay?

I don't think those of us without smells are saying you don't have to clean your tanks. We're stating from our experience, deoderizors aren't needed if you use plenty of water. When we dump we'll 'sometimes' use the tank flusher (not if there's a line at the dump station). It's not needed every time. We also add a bucket or two of water to get things going. Then begin the drive where that water can 'somewhat' splash around. When we use the black tank flusher & if there's no one behind us at the dump station, we'll use it for a long time while it's draining. That's sufficient every so often. You'll never get the tank really clean. ๐Ÿ™‚

As for as the deoderizors they sell.... how many things are on the market that you don't need? It's called 'sales/gimmicks'.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
nayther wrote:
I never looked under the sink for an air admittance valve and there should not have been one since there were vents. Just sold that one.

Without an AAV under the counter by the sink, the water would be siphoned out of the sink's trap EVERY TIME you ran more than a trickle of water. The AAV is to break the vacuum that the flowing water otherwise would generate so the water stays in the trap.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our 8th year of full-time and have never used chemicals, just make sure there is some water in tank after dumping and generous water when we flush. We don't flush the tank every time either, just every month or so. All of the items listed above except chemicals need to be checked. The chemical is a deodorizer - covers up the odor, doesn't correct any problem and make it go away. Good luck.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
for the past 4 or 5 years, we have been using cheap liquid detergent and Borax, a cup of each in the black tank and the same for the gray tank. we add it each time we dump our tanks, about every 10 days, and have no problems with smells.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I had very good results from installing the 360 Siphon Vent Covers.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps do not eat as many dishes containing cabbage, eggs, onions, etc, as well as certain varieties of cheese.:E
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?