cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Are Today's Markets Affecting Your Lifestyle?

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious "if" and how the current economic climates that are affecting the stock markets and more, might be affecting one's travels/FT lifestyle?
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars
31 REPLIES 31

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Not at all. We've always lived well below our means, we have an excellent financial adviser and the last two years have been the best ever for my company.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We're waiting for minimum withdrawals which are several years down the road. Doing fine on SS and pension even saving a little.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
No negative effect.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We are better off today than ever before. I have some very conservative sock holdings. I did all my gambling when I was posed to make a recovery if things went south today I am on cruise control. My suggestion is not to risk money and assets that will effect your long term ability to maintain the retirement lifestyle you have chosen.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
no effect thank goodness for us.

we did things smart and were lucky it panned out well for us. knock wood!

but like mentioned, we love the lower fuel costs! every bit that I save in travel expense means I can put that money somewhere 'more fun' on my vacation ๐Ÿ™‚

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
jrp wrote:

Now, this $2.00 /gal diesel is having a great effect on my monthly travel budget.

It figures....LOL! Ed and I only seem to plan major trips when fuel is sky-high.....

Ed is a stock-market follower/investor, and thanks to his diligence (and my frugality), we can weather any storms. I feel very grateful for that, too.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, been trying to post reply since yesterday but wouldn't let me, hope this one goes through. Great to see such a wonderful amount of replies, and looking forward to more.

So in general the cost of fuel seems to be a huge positive for many, or others are not affected by having fixed income and seeing no difference or not affected in their structure for the most part. Would love to see some more Canadians comments, but interesting Macktee how you are handling the exchange rate to your negative being south right now. It is what it is for sure, and I well recall when it was $1.65 to the US$1 so we have always budgeted based on a $1.3 to $1 exchange rate personally.

Thanks for the interest and responses thus far, looking forward to hopefully reading many others take on how their travels/lifestyle may or may not have been affected somewhat.

For sure it's a great time for our southern cousins to head north of the border on current exchange rates. Our fuel might not be quite as cheap as yours generally but for sure it's the best we've seen for many many years. Come on up the ice fishings great (LOL).
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Kusani
Explorer
Explorer
When responding to the OP's question, please focus your comments on how the economy is affecting "one's travels/FT lifestyle". Where the economy is, has been, and is going, and why is NOT thrust of the op's question or this forum. Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Come on up!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the Canadian dollar as low as it is this year is a good one to go north.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Judgerr
Explorer
Explorer
Not bothering us at all!
2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat 4x2 Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II, Bilsteins,
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname from USMC days!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
Well, wannabe, I noticed you didn't get many Canadians posting on your topic. Personally, It is pretty dam hard to keep on budget with the dollar difference. Having said that, if we don't go buying any big ticket items, and stay put in the park, we still get by at about the same output that we would up north. Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't affect me a bit. About a year ago I sold every bit of stock I owned and I'm done gambling! My life has been much more relaxed every since. My capital is in a nice Credit Union Savings account and I'm still gainfully employed!

Now, at work, since they are a publicly traded company on the Stock Market, my job is really weird. But since I'm in information technology, all the changes (ups and downs) are actually keeping me employed! We're constantly changing things to keep up, or keep down with the on-going trends. It's crazy. But it's a job. So the wilder the ride, the better it is for me.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Looks like the market is turning around as we speak.
Might wanna turn the TV back on....
Ya.. looking good.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman