cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How did you meet your camping friends?

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
Besides family members, how did you meet the people you get together to camp with? Like they always say, the more the merrier and that includes camping friends.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2007 Coachmen Chaperrel 5th Wheel
27 REPLIES 27

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We joined the local Good Sam chapter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we are the "odd man out" on this one.

We don't camp with anyone.

We plan our trips, and travel alone.

We have always kept pretty much to ourselves throughout life.

We are "social" and enjoy groups of friends,, however when it comes to camping, we do it alone.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We joined the local Good Sam chapter. During the summer, we have formal campouts each month and occasionally others. In the winter we have lunch meetings each months. We have met many good friends thru the chapter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I see you are a Good Sam member, that's a great place to start. Go to the Good Sam web site there is a link for state and local chapters. Make contact with them,go to a few of there campouts you may find friends there. I do know that chapter members are a great bunch of folks.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have several people we meet by chance at campgrounds we return to each year. One man I have talked to each year over July 4th week was not there this year altho his spot was empty and paid for. I assume he died.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not into the group thing or mobs of people, so itโ€™s rare Iโ€™d go camping with someone else. Grandkids and the sonโ€™s family are exceptions. Iโ€™ll make friends with some fellow campers and enjoy their company, but even then I donโ€™t want to spend the whole day with them. Odds are we both have some things we want to do that donโ€™t appeal to the other party.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wear my Second Amendment T shirt. It weeds out the gun haters and it invites like minded people to say "nice shirt" then the conversation begins. Also have a shirt covered with assault weapons!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't gone with our friends yet but will in September.

We met them last summer when I organized a small group sailing trip to the San Juan Islands in Washington. I'd posted in a couple of sailing forums in March, had about 8 or 10 other boaters express an interest, and we ended up with a flotilla of 5 sailboats from 22 to 26 feet in length. I knew two of the owners already, the other two were strangers, but not for long! Three of us pretty much sailed together, the other two boats came & went as they pleased. We really hit it off with one couple who'd pulled their boat down from Canada. We'll be camping with them in September and probably do another group sailing trip to the Canadian Gulf Islands next summer.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we don't 'go with friends' or bring anyone except maybe a friend of my daughters on a short weekend trip.

no one we know has rvs ๐Ÿ™‚ One friend does but they don't go hardly anywhere, I think it is financial at this point, don't ask tho. we are the odd man out on camping basically.

we do chat a bit with people at cgs, kids come to our site to play with my daughter etc. but alot of times it is just us and we love our little family and we have a blast.

but rallies sound like a great way to get into a group and make long term friendships.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Heard about the Northeast Truck Camping Jamboree on this forum. Many years later, still try to see them once a year.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
I pick them up in CGs. It starts with a HELLO.

That's always worked for me too!

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Rallies. I just posted several years ago about having a rally at a particular campground. Next thing I knew, about 20 folks signed up and that group is still gathering for a rally about every other month or so. Lot's of nice folks.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pick them up in CGs. It starts with a HELLO.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995