cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How hard to temporarily remove slide topper?

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am still fighting a leak in our Miramar. I need to remove the slide topper of the dinette slide so I am seal the seam between the slide roof and the outside slide wall. The only way to get to the seam is to remove the topper. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the topper? I just need to remove it long enough to seal the seam.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
6 REPLIES 6

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
shepfly wrote:
You do not need to remove the fabric from either the roller nor the camper rail. Simply lock the roller from rotation with a pin, remove from slide end brackets and place roller with fabric attached on the camper roof, out of where you wish to work. Reverse process to finish your repair. Dave
Thats how I did mine. Nothing to it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

shepfly
Explorer
Explorer
You do not need to remove the fabric from either the roller nor the camper rail. Simply lock the roller from rotation with a pin, remove from slide end brackets and place roller with fabric attached on the camper roof, out of where you wish to work. Reverse process to finish your repair. Dave

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Takes about 2 seconds with the tree in the wrong place

Removing it was not the problem
Putting it back on was.

That said. it depends on a thing or 3

The "Top" end of the slide topper likely rides in a channel that runs the length of the RV. if you can get the RIB to come out then it's easy to remove (putting it back may be an issue) Be sure to PIN the roller (You will need the manual to figure out how to do that) or bad things happen before you do anythign else

Two removal methods
Once the roller is pinned if you can pull the rib out of the canvas you just remove a few bolts and slide it forward and back and it is off.

IF not.. I opened the channel either "Before" or "After" the slide and then slid it out with the rib in place.... Slid it back the same way and tapped the channel back to close to original

It is a 2 person job for the most part though I can do it alone.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look up the instructions for your make/model. Basically extend the slide a little, lock the roller and remove it, remove any screws in the track, remove any sharp edges from the track end, slide the fabric out. Hopefully the fabric is not stuck in the track. Best to have 2 people with ladders.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to do this exact thing on our 2004 Rockwood when it was NEW! I had a leak into the storage cabinet at the top of the dinette slide, but only when water got under the topper. Most of the time the topper masked the bad seal on the slide roof by covering it.

This was years ago, but if I remember correctly, there were two brackets that bolted to the slide wall (one at each end) and the topper ends had pieces that slid onto the brackets and were held from moving by setscrews. You had to slide the topper about 6 inches sideways to release it. I think I had to remove one end cap on the topper, and also there was a place to push a Phillips screwdriver into a hole to lock the roller in place so it didn't try to retract and pull the topper. Since you had to slide the topper sideways a little to release it from the brackets, I had to have the slide extended at least halfway so the topper canvas could move 4-6 inches sideways at the slide wall end while still held tightly at the RV wall in the channel above the slide.

Like all slides, beware that there is a lot of tension on the roller and you could get struck by a spinning end bracket if you don't lock the roller.

These are for my slide topper, yours may be completely different.

Steve

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked youtube?
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.