cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How important is a rock shield when towing a car?

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
We will be taking a longer trip this summer to the east coast. I am planning to tow my Wrangler 4 down or maybe another car with a dolly. In any case, I was looking at rock shields and wondering if these are needed to protect the toad. I have towed it before without incident but mostly just locally.

I was looking specifically at Karguard II from Blue Ox as I have the Blue Ox set up.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N
10 REPLIES 10

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
Four years and 20,000 miles towing my Mariner behind my Winnie View. No rock shield and no damage. I tow some on unpaved roads here in Arizona, but not too much.
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have mud flaps and the rock guard across the back. I have had no damage from rocks. Make sure the rock guard is at least 4" off the road. I also never drive on gravel roads faster than 35 mph.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
One road we went down was gravel that was fresh and they had used it for construction equipment. Blew out all the lights on my wrangler and had gravel on the bumper. Only time in 350 k miles.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
I think we've had one semi-serious rock strike in 11-towing years and that wasn't a rock...it was a small piece of rebar that was kicked up by the rear MH tires that imbedded itself in the lower plastic bumper of the toad. no rock shield was gonna stop that.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a rainy driving day on an interstate and for lack of something creative to do, I did a survey and watched motorhomes with rear rock guards as they passed in the opposite direction. On those with guards, the road water was splashing high onto the hoods of the towed vehicle. The ones without a guard, the water spashed low at tire level. It convinced us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I towed our CRV for 60K miles without a scratch until I reached the Alaskan Highway! This is what I then learned about toad protection from rocks.

The worst device is the vertical shield mounted on the car. These hard shields can and do reflect rocks back to the motorhome and can and will cause paint and even rear radiator damage. Adding some type of damping material to the front of the shield will help reduce rock reflection. A full custom fitted bra on the car will protect it. However it must be washed every day to remove the dirt and grit that will get underneath and scrub the paint. The best device for protection is the horizontal shield type of device that extends from the motorhome to the toad. This will not however protect the toad from rocks when meeting or passing vehicles.

The toad radiator also needs protection. The horizontal shield that installs above our CRV tow bar would not protect the radiator that is below the tow bar.

The worst device on the motorhome is the large rear mud flaps installed at the rear bumper and are less than 5โ€ from the ground. These mud flaps will kick up rocks to the toad. Actually these arenโ€™t mud flaps at all. They are a marketing and advertising device and not intended as a mud flap. If yours is less that 5โ€ from the road then remove it before the trip. The broom type of mud flap will also do little to stop rocks.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Had more damage with a rock guard or brush than without.
When they hit the road. They kick up more stones and dirt.

Just plain old mud flaps work the best.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've towed our Jeep Liberty to Alaska and have full-timed with it for 10 years including boondocking along gravel roads. We have had no damage to the Jeep from rocks.

One other thing, we have stiff flaps behind the MH wheels but we don't have a rear stiff flap. We actually saw folks along our Alaskan trip removing those stiff across-the-rear flaps because of rocks laying at the base of the toad's windshield.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours shield shows a lot of scuffing and dings from rocks etc. A lot come out from under the Mh and flap and tumbles over the shield and onto windshield and roof etc of towed. the front end of car is 100%.
They work but I don't think they design the locating or shape according to test behind a MH with a mud flap and or rear radiator, for sure.
The one that goes on the bottom of the tow bar seems like would be more protection for towed but I am not sure. It might be just better, for parts of the towed. Both together?
Some kind of diverter mouldings, or whatever on the rear, of the coach seems to be in order. The tublence behind MH is huge. Any oil seepage etc, and rocks can end up on the top, of coach as well as roof, of towed. I you smell oil blowby it could be becaause fumes are being sucked up to the top, of coach and into rear camera opening.
The shield works to a large degree but we still have to clean the car from being towed

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a car on a dolly for a lot of miles without rock damage. Several years ago, I bought a mudflap that goes across the entire rear of the MH. The only issue I had was muddy water thrown on the toad on the dolly.
I now tow a pu 4down, again without a shield except the flap on the MH. it seems like there is less muddy water thrown on the windshield and never had a problem with rocks.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP