cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much off MSRP now?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
How much off the MSRP of a new RV would you expect to get now that we're enduring this pandemic and economic shutdown. We all know to try to get 25%-30% off MSRP in normal times but considering the 2020 models are plentiful on dealers lots, should we try to get more off? I would think that when manufacturers begin production again they will be putting out 2021 models, not more 2020 models. Since dealers should be motivated to sell their inventory and buyers likely are not in the same situation financially that they were just a few short months ago, what are your thoughts. Will dealers stick to their past selling parameters or be more willing to get their inventory moving?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
33 REPLIES 33

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
I talked to a salesperson at our local Camping World. She said last week they averaged 7-8 sales per day during the week and sold 23 units on Saturday. She stated she's worked 20 days straight. She also said no one wants to fly,stay in a hotel or go on a cruise so they're going camping.

Did you ask her how long she has worked there.They dont last long

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We just had a 4 day RV show, first since March, and more than doubled our usual sales figures. Business is excellent.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a salesperson at our local Camping World. She said last week they averaged 7-8 sales per day during the week and sold 23 units on Saturday. She stated she's worked 20 days straight. She also said no one wants to fly,stay in a hotel or go on a cruise so they're going camping.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just heard a report on NBC that RV sales are up. Guessing folks don't want to stay in motels so much. Also, when we were up North Monday, the staging lots are dramatically down in inventory, so transportation has been running. This does mean, however, that the discounts may not be all that great.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
schlep1967 wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
down home wrote:
At least one manufacturer increased the margins on the MSRP to over 50% nearer 60%.
When they say they are losing money on every unit they sell, offer to lock the doors for them.
Yes I would shoot for 50% to 55% off even 60% as any unit unsold cost them money on floor plan interest. Those buying RVs may be in better financial situations than many still working...most have to watch the budget and budgets are shrinking as Retirements took a very serious hit. Sales are way down now, and they want to move inventory. They will try to get the most out of a Consuemr as they can. If you feel like you are not going to get the deal you wnt, take the figures they give you and shop and bluff. Line up financing first if you can that is a letter of credit in the old days. Offer them 50% and no more and tell them you are ready to write the check t your price.
Can't imagine this will fly. They can only go so low. Don't think any dealer is going to sell at a loss just to sell a unit.
B.O.

Depends if the interest payment on that 6 million dollars of stock he has on the lot is due that day.

There is a low price dealers are allowed to sell new units on. That price is set by the manufacturer. They simply can't go lower than that despite what they may or may not want to do. This has nothing to do with finances of the dealership. It's a price set per unit and across every dealer for that same unit. Some will get closer to this price than others, but there is a threshold.

And sales are not down. Quite contrary, RV sales are pretty normal if not shockingly high given the pandemic. I wouldn't expect pricing to be any different than it normally is. They may even creep up if demand stays high and production stays low.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
down home wrote:
At least one manufacturer increased the margins on the MSRP to over 50% nearer 60%.
When they say they are losing money on every unit they sell, offer to lock the doors for them.
Yes I would shoot for 50% to 55% off even 60% as any unit unsold cost them money on floor plan interest. Those buying RVs may be in better financial situations than many still working...most have to watch the budget and budgets are shrinking as Retirements took a very serious hit. Sales are way down now, and they want to move inventory. They will try to get the most out of a Consuemr as they can. If you feel like you are not going to get the deal you wnt, take the figures they give you and shop and bluff. Line up financing first if you can that is a letter of credit in the old days. Offer them 50% and no more and tell them you are ready to write the check t your price.
Can't imagine this will fly. They can only go so low. Don't think any dealer is going to sell at a loss just to sell a unit.
B.O.

Depends if the interest payment on that 6 million dollars of stock he has on the lot is due that day.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy one too! My last deal (Used) was a bust! The guy wanted above high retail! I almost bought it! YEAKS!!!! It was a good machine and well kept. However, i would say that even without this pandemic one should not pay high retail.
:C

God Bless

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new rig a few weeks ago. We found that while they didn't come down a crazy amount off the MSRP, where they made it up was on the trade. Even Keystone threw in some money to make that deal work. We got a much better deal overall than what they offered us 2 months ago.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I would look strongly into the possibility that there could be inflation this year into next. This is all new territory. If inflation, then your money is worth more now. You are better off spending that money on something of value than waiting until the money has less value and will not buy that same item of value.
Discount or not.
We are about to leave the Federal Reserve monetary system. This has already begun with the Fed (private international bankers) merging with the Treasury. The Fed system is based on debt, with a fiat currency backed by nothing.
The President has stated that "we have the gold". He has secured America's gold reserves, we had speculated that Ft Knox was empty, so I have no clue where it was that it had to be secured, I just know he said "secure"
Gold sales have stopped. Gold miners are largely not selling their mined gold. Gold is expected to go much higher. about $1,700 now, could go $3,000. That alone could create inflation to some degree.
Prez has been talking a lot about going to "sound money", aka back to the Gold Standard.
Likely it will still be Dollars, but just wont say, Federal Reserve Note on it. The old notes will be taken as equal to the new printed bills for a time duration, so no disruption or confusion will be expected. They might looks almost identical also.
All this means in speculation is that we leave the Fed Resv system and go to a new gold-backed system.
Spend your Federal Reserve notes now, or buy gold (none to buy), or invest somewhere.
I say all this to provide basis of my personal reasoning why this is better time to buy a camper if you for sure plan to buy one this year.

I'm selling one, and hesitant to take fiat currency knowing that there may be a new gold-backed currency down the road. Yes, your money will seamlessly change from Fed notes to whatever currency is next I expect, that is not the area of concern, don't panic that you have cash. It is the value of your current money (cash or in the bank) that we do not know about in the future due to possible inflation.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Rv dealers are not panicking yet. They are getting support from the government as well as small business loans. Why is there an assumption that a dealer must be crazy not to accept a 40% off offer in a crisis? Their margins don't change and many of the dealer's inventory is secured by loans they have - those terms don't change either. I remember after 2008 most dealers I approached wouldn't stretch to make deals at all. Many eventually went out of business never selling a lot of inventory. I assume there are finances in play with the dealership operation that make it more advantageous to stay firm than take a hit. It's of no benefit to a dealer to take a loss, that won't help them stay in business. They don't "eat" the inventory per se. In a worst case scenario, the banks that loan the dealer money for inventory probably would rather have that inventory than a percentage of what they are owed. It's much smarter that if you are going down, keep your cash and let the manufacturers or banks have the inventory. I was told once - I have no way to validate - that the manufacturer is supposed to set the MSRP as well as the lowest price the dealer is allowed to sell. Makes sense, why would a manufacturer allow dealers to make up their own pricing? One dealer selling at 70% when another decides to sell at 60% wouldn't be good for the manufacturers.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at tractor's, they are not budging at ALL, but this is used...

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
In January I was shopping super c a dealer had two 2019 I made a 28% off msrp of 300k best they came back with was just barely over 20%. Bet they wished they took that deal as I see they still have one 2019 and a couple 2020. They also list a couple of 2021 as incoming. It would take 40% off now for me to even think about that 2019.