cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to deal with neighbor noise in quiet hours?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know we're living in close quarters so some noise is always expected. This fairly nice RV park has a lot of motorcycles so there's a lot of noise but for the most part, it's noisy during the day and quiet during official quiet times 10pm-7am.

Our next door neighbours live in their trailer year-round but I wouldn't call them full-timers.

She leaves at 5:45am every weekday to walk 3 miles before her shift starts. Her truck is a hard to start, squealing fanbelt, no exhaust beater. She parks it 10 feet from our bed. She wakes me every morning - it usually takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep. Sometimes not at all.

This is a so-called "premium" site and we don't want to move, but we may have to. Before we do that I'm wondering if anyone can think of any (legal) things to do to stop this inconsiderate behavior? We asked her to park at the other end of her trailer and that helped a lot for a couple of weeks but she's decided she doesn't want to do that anymore (why, I dunno). After two and a half months we've finally complained to the office but I have little hope that they can / will do anything.

We've been doing the RV thing for quite a few years and I've never come across this kind of issue. I understand the "suck it up", "stop whining" and "move" options. Any other suggestions?
81 REPLIES 81

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all of the posts, I don't see where the OP is off base.

The 'lady next door' did park her vehicle in a different place previously when she found out it was disturbing the neighbors. And now, she's back parking it next to the OP's bedroom. The 'LND' has to know how disturbing that loud truck is.

I'm at the age now where I would just move. You can't fix stupid or rude people, it's waste of time. Life is too short for this.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dewey02 wrote:
Were there ANY responses that actually sided with the OP?
I did, sort of. He's in a tough spot, unless he wants to leave and possibly forfeit any money he's paid. At this point that appears to be the only solution, or at least the only one I'd consider. And I'd do it too, especially if the proprietor treated him the way westernrvparkowner responded. To heck with the money - it's not worth the aggravation.

If this car were waking up 10 people you bet it would be taken care of.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I've read through this entire thread during the past few days.
Were there ANY responses that actually sided with the OP?
And for the record, I don't side with the OP either! ๐Ÿ™‚

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
For 30 years my husband got up at 5:00 a.m. to shower and get ready for work. He knew perfectly well I didn't go to work until 9:00 a.m. Our bed is only 15 feet from master bath. How inconsiderate! :R

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the OP could use the early morning wake up to get our of bed during the warming of the truck next door and go Pee. That's the time (at my age (69) that I usually go then I crawl back to bed.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Go to bed earlier, that way when you wake up at 5:30 you have all ready had your eight hours of sleep. Easy fix at no cost to you. Otherwise move on. :S
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
And with that, I vote we close this thing down.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I've asked around about fixes to the truck. Apparently a couple of 'features' of this 80s vintage Ford pickup is that the fan belt always squeals on cold starts and that the gas tanks have a tendency to rot on the top.

The exhaust is very loud but the only way to know if it's leaking or designed to be that way is to put it on a hoist to examine it.

The fumes are definitely gasoline and it only smells when the truck is there. There has been no hint of drugs other than tobacco and one time a joint but nothing serious.

When she started parking back next to our bed my wife asked her to park again at the back where it doesn't disturb us. She said "I'll think about it" but hasn't. DW asked if the neighbours on the other side complained and neighbour said "No". They're farther away.

I make no judgement about the "quality" of these neighbours other than that she leaves at a very early hour BY CHOICE and she know it disturbs me and has done nothing about it. They haven't done anything else to bother me or anyone else AFAIK.
If she had any decency, she would get rid of her transportation, quit her job, apologize for having a life of her own and stop interfering with your much more important life. Some people just don't get it. Some people are just plain better than others, and those others need to accommodate them. Perhaps you didn't make it clear to the park that you were one of the special people. If they knew that, I am sure they would accommodate your needs and get rid of any and all guests that didn't fit in with your lifestyle. Simple things like designating quiet hours, correction, make that silence hours, to jibe with your sleep habits. Also, a simple policy like banning all Fords, since you have apparently ascertained that is the problem with her truck, would go a long way to making your stay more enjoyable. And if the neighbors don't have a problem with her, they should be booted as well, since their indifference falsely makes you look like a whiner, and we all know that couldn't be true.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
Isn't this another case of the old Occam's Razor: The neighbor just doesn't care. That's the simplest and most likely answer.
Have to agree with that. Let's forget the rules and rights.. what about just being polite?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hereby modify all of my previous responses. They used to say "starting her car to go to work." They now are to be read as to say "starting her car to go somewhere for her own reasons."

It doesn't change the fact that all CG's that I am aware of allow that. Even during quiet hours.

As long as she is parking in her site, not in the OP's site, she is entirely within her rights. Inconsiderate? Maybe. Wrong? No.

This is a case where the OP needs to get a life. Move, or live with it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've asked around about fixes to the truck. Apparently a couple of 'features' of this 80s vintage Ford pickup is that the fan belt always squeals on cold starts and that the gas tanks have a tendency to rot on the top.

The exhaust is very loud but the only way to know if it's leaking or designed to be that way is to put it on a hoist to examine it.

The fumes are definitely gasoline and it only smells when the truck is there. There has been no hint of drugs other than tobacco and one time a joint but nothing serious.

When she started parking back next to our bed my wife asked her to park again at the back where it doesn't disturb us. She said "I'll think about it" but hasn't. DW asked if the neighbours on the other side complained and neighbour said "No". They're farther away.

I make no judgement about the "quality" of these neighbours other than that she leaves at a very early hour BY CHOICE and she know it disturbs me and has done nothing about it. They haven't done anything else to bother me or anyone else AFAIK.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen an RV park that allowed major car repairs.
So. how does the old muffler get removed? What tools/ torches are needed? Most bad mufflers have bad pipes. The OP is supposed to purchase the pipes and a bending machine? Don't think most people carry those around. The OP also has to be one of the .0001% or less of people that know how to do it.
Most muffler shops have lifts. Does the OP use his own portable lift?
I doubt any proper muffler/pipe job is less than $500 nowadays.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Save going to management to 'solve' the problem as a very last resort, because most likely you won't be happy with their solution. And once you do, you've probably eliminated any negotiation leverage you had with the neighbor if management's decision doesn't fall to your favor.

Offering to help out with the fix keeps you in control and might be good leverage when you do need to follow up with management as a last resort.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't read all 7 pages of posts. Has anyone suggested buying this lady a new car? She probably doesn't like her old beater any better than you do, but most likely, it's the best she can do.

I can understand resenting being woken at that hour, but you have the option of moving your site.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy