cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to deal with neighbor noise in quiet hours?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know we're living in close quarters so some noise is always expected. This fairly nice RV park has a lot of motorcycles so there's a lot of noise but for the most part, it's noisy during the day and quiet during official quiet times 10pm-7am.

Our next door neighbours live in their trailer year-round but I wouldn't call them full-timers.

She leaves at 5:45am every weekday to walk 3 miles before her shift starts. Her truck is a hard to start, squealing fanbelt, no exhaust beater. She parks it 10 feet from our bed. She wakes me every morning - it usually takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep. Sometimes not at all.

This is a so-called "premium" site and we don't want to move, but we may have to. Before we do that I'm wondering if anyone can think of any (legal) things to do to stop this inconsiderate behavior? We asked her to park at the other end of her trailer and that helped a lot for a couple of weeks but she's decided she doesn't want to do that anymore (why, I dunno). After two and a half months we've finally complained to the office but I have little hope that they can / will do anything.

We've been doing the RV thing for quite a few years and I've never come across this kind of issue. I understand the "suck it up", "stop whining" and "move" options. Any other suggestions?
81 REPLIES 81

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I can bring the cheese and crackers
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
TOMMY47 wrote:
Fix the truck for her?????????
So you know the OP is a truck mechanic with an unlimited supply of free parts?
How many hundreds of his own money should he spend?

Yea. It's called, 'helping a neighbor'. Ever have a neighbor come over and lend you a hand? Ever offer to lend a hand to a neighbor?

What's happened to America when we can't even be neighborly to a neighbor? Maybe you are one of those who are only nice to you first? Break the cycle and quit responding to a bad situation by making it worse.

As for me? My peace and quiet for a $50 muffler and some belt dressing is plenty worth the time and money. If I haven't the skils, then another $100 for the labor and I get to sleep in. Seeing as the OP *****ed and aired the dirty laundry to the world, I would think that would be chump change for the tranquiity it gave back.

How much money you think you spend in taxes that goes to the unworthy who abuse your tax gift? Now think about putting some money where it would do you your own best good; your peace and quiet at 5:30am.

Pardon me but I have never heard of belt dressing fixing anything,,
only way to stop the belts from squealing is to tighten it!!
Obviously one need to find which belt is the culprit first,,nine times out of ten it's usualy the alternator..

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this another case of the old Occam's Razor: The neighbor just doesn't care. That's the simplest and most likely answer. All the Kumbayah-ing won't change that.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
Asking the management to uphold the rules isn't mean. It's something you agreed to when you rent the space. If the management won't do the right thing, it's time to move.

I've never heard of a CG with a rule against starting your truck to go to work, even if it is during "quiet hours."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
michigansandzilla wrote:

It is not your neighbor's responsibility to tend to your sleep needs.
wow.

It's not the responsibility of the morons who bark their dogs at the dog run at 5am either, but I'm sure glad I have a choice not to park next to it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe she is continuing to park next to you because your request is ridiculous.

It is not your neighbor's responsibility to tend to your sleep needs.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe when the OP strokes out over something important, this inconsiderate woman will be driving the irritating noisy ambulance hauling her azz to the hospital.
If this person gets up early enough for a three mile walk before leaving for work each morning, she is not a total loss.."There but for the grace of God go I"

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Winnietrey - the OP wrote that he talked to the neighbor and she DID park the truck to a different location for about a week.
Bingo. That's a solution.

Except that, for some reason, this did not last. Without knowing why she stopped doing it, we can't say this is a viable solution.

It could be, she just got tired of parking differently. It could also be that parking in a different spot upset other neighbors. Maybe those neighbors are more aggressive or antagonistic towards her, so she decided the OP was the lesser of two evils. Maybe the other spot floods in the rain and she can't get into the truck without getting her feet soaked.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a question. Lots of folks have decided these people are poor and have a very junky old truck and are just trying to tick off their neighbor. Could it be there is nothing wrong with this truck other than a slipping Alternator belt squealing to charge the batt. when first started. Maybe the truck has glass pack's or Flowmaster mufflers and the OP thinks it should be new car quite. Only thing you know for sure is the lady gets up and goes' to work every morning and the OP is not happy about it.
All I know is everyone is guessing but no one knows.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Winnietrey - the OP wrote that he talked to the neighbor and she DID park the truck to a different location for about a week.
Bingo. That's a solution.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winnietrey - the OP wrote that he talked to the neighbor and she DID park the truck to a different location for about a week. That doesn't sound like a complete jerk. She did make an effort to be considerate. We don't know why she stopped parking in the different spot, but I doubt it was simply because she didn't care about the OP's complaint (if it was, she never would have parked differently).

I agree that the man could be a total loser. He could also be an ex-military with PTSD; or ill with cancer or some disease; or dealing with depression; etc. Who knows. But I try very hard not to go first to the worst scenario - it's hard sometimes, but I don't want to be the kind of person who thinks so poorly of others without any facts.

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Ear plugs. Problem solved.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
GWolfe wrote:
You know your neighbors are probably down on their luck with little money. I don't see how turning them in for a loud truck is going to fix anything, probably make matters worse for both parties involved and you would probably end up moving anyway.

I would just move, not everyone is privileged enough to enjoy this lifestyle some do it out of necessity or because they have no other options.

I agree. I'd also add that since she moved the truck to the other side for a while and then moved it back, that she made an effort to "be nice" to her neighbor. You don't know why she moved it back - maybe it bothered 2 or 3 neighbors on the other side and she figured it was better to only annoy one neighbor; maybe it disturbed her husband who has health issues or works from home; etc.

I always find it funny that folks treat this type of issue as if the neighbor is PURPOSELY doing these things to just to annoy them. I'm pretty sure that she's tired of listening to her loud truck also - but that in the big scheme of her life, that's the least of her worries.

I also think that an offer to help with the repair (if it's something you're able to do) would be a nice offer. Since the squealing is the biggest annoyance, perhaps offer to do the labor on that if she buys the new belt (or whatever needs to be bought). That would eliminate the worst of the noise and will show that you understand that she's not purposely annoying you. I wouldn't suggest paying for the repair (unless you have the extra money and personally wish to do so), but offering the labor could be just what she needs - especially if she has a husband who is somehow unable to do those things.

Otherwise, it's use earplugs or move.

Toadtoes, I notice your posts are for the most part pretty positive and caring. I think that is a good thing. I on the other hand, after 40 years of dealing with the general public, tend to be a little jaded
which is not so good. I hope you are right. And these folks are doing the best they can. But we will never really know. I have seen many times where the wife works like a dog, and the hubby stays home and drinks 24/7. That may also be a possible scenario here. Don't know, but that's the jaded part of my thinking I guess

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
et2 wrote:
Asking the management to uphold the rules isn't mean. It's something you agreed to when you rent the space. If the management won't do the right thing, it's time to move. And the OP will have at least $50 extra dollars in their pocket and clean hands.

I don't see that the neighbor was violating any rules. Quiet hours does not mean "no motor vehicle operation". And the OP made no mention of a rule regarding a minimum standard of upkeep on a functional vehicle.

This issue could easily occur in any neighborhood, RV park or not, and there really isn't anything that can be done about it.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
Ok, then instead of ranting ( advice is something that someone might be interested in) you send the OP a check to cover the costs and everyone will be happy. Honestly I think that's the best "advice" based on your generosity and forward thinking as indicated In your posts.

First, I wasn't ranting, I offered a positive solution. Second, I'll offer up to pay for the muffler as soon as you and everyone else offers up to follow through on your suggestions. It's easy to go tell someone to do something mean like turn them in until it's YOU doing the dirty work.

"My suggestion" was for "you" to pay for it since it was you willing to spend others money without any knowledge of their financial status or willingness or capabilities to do the repairs needed. Paying for a $50 muffler doesn't resolve the problem. Who's going to install it? Do you suggest the OP do that as well? What if they aren't capable of it. What if they don't have the tools and resources? What happens if they damage the neighbors car in the process.

Just a off the cuff remark for the OP to pay for it wasn't positive in any way unless "you" completely understand "everyone's" situation. I'm betting you don't. Therefore I don't see what was positive about your response to the OP.

Asking the management to uphold the rules isn't mean. It's something you agreed to when you rent the space. If the management won't do the right thing, it's time to move. And the OP will have at least $50 extra dollars in their pocket and clean hands.