cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how to repaint the fifth wheel front metal

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I don't know what to call it! haha It's the metal framework to which the pin is attached and supports the weight of the RV on the fifth wheel. Anyhow, the coating (paint or some such) is flaking off and the metal underneath is rusting (of course!) How aggressive should I be in removing the loose material and painting the metal? I have used Navel Jelly to remove rust before, and I think this will work here. Anyone else done anything like this?
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!
3 REPLIES 3

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, Thanks!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're referring to the hitch pin box.
The paint on mine faded so I used a 3M scotch brite pad to remove any flaked paint and rough up the rest or the hitch. I then cleaned the surface thoroughly with Prep Sol. After masking off around the area to prevent overspray, I used a can of semi gloss black spray paint. I also used painter's tape (the blue stuff) to mask off a couple of decals that were on the hitch with instructions.
Looks like new! Good luck.
BTW, don't try painting it on a windy day!
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are referring to the 'pinbox'. I would clean it up and paint it if I had that problem.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)