cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to stop slide topper from sagging?

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I have two slides with toppers I recently changed. The smaller bedroom topper is always pretty tight and sheds water. But the larger living room topper always collects a water puddle in the middle which quickly turns into a brown oval. Ya cant see it when standing on the ground but its still bothers me that it wont shed water like the other slide. What can I do to help stop the water from collecting up there? Or is this just the nature of the slide topper?
21 REPLIES 21

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm parked for an extended period of time I run the slide in after the rain has ended so that the water will run off. I don't worry about it too much until just before I packup to leave then I try to drain off the water and allow the cover to dry before the final rollup, I don't like to store it while it's damp.
Paul & Margie

okraman
Explorer
Explorer
Usually, I just bring the slide in to drain the water. But, I have also cut a water noodle just a little longer than the width if the awning, putting a piece under both ends of the awning. The upward bow of the noodles under the awning provide enough lift to cause the water to run off.
2014 Ram Laramie 3500, SRW, CTD, CC, 3.42, 4X4
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS
'05 Jayco Eagle 298 BHS
16' Nova Craft Prospector Canoe

okraman
Explorer
Explorer
Usually, I just bring the slide in to drain the water. But, I have also cut a water noodle just a little longer than the width if the awning, putting a piece under both ends of the awning. The upward bow of the noodles under the awning provide enough lift to cause the water to run off.
2014 Ram Laramie 3500, SRW, CTD, CC, 3.42, 4X4
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS
'05 Jayco Eagle 298 BHS
16' Nova Craft Prospector Canoe

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm..... They (the topper companies) should, depending on slide width, incorporate a few cables which connect to the topper roller where the material fits in the groove. Then attach the other end of the cable to where the material connects to the trailer wall. Kinda like how the steps of a ladder look. That way when the slide moves in the short cables will simply roll up in and out with the slide topper just like the material rolls up. The cables are never tightening or loosening but they'll be holding up the topper material in smaller sections and keeping from sagging and dipping over the whole length of the material. Sounds like a legit idea..... Maybe I'll try it. :B

RustyFairmount
Explorer
Explorer
Prowler Doug wrote:
We put a large beach ball in the center of the slide topper. Water runs right off.

Yepper. $1. Problem solved.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now back to the thread. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Gee, a bit thin skinned aren't we? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just trying to keep the thread from wandering into "Love 'em, Hate 'em" territory.

Not thin skinned at all. Did not know you had a new job.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee, a bit thin skinned aren't we? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just trying to keep the thread from wandering into "Love 'em, Hate 'em" territory.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
The thread was asking for advice on what to do with pooling water, not whether you like or dislike toppers. Not helpful, and not needed.

Geeze so sorry. Are you the Moderator now?

I will be watching what you say from now on.

Maybe there are people wondering about toppers. I have had both and I gave my "OPINION" I guess you don't find it useful but some may.

Hey I heard you can elect not to see someones posts. Maybe you should look that up.

Have a nice day!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The thread was asking for advice on what to do with pooling water, not whether you like or dislike toppers. Not helpful, and not needed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last RV had toppers this one does not. I will never have another RV with toppers.

Our long topper also collects water.. I usually let it drain off when retracting the slides in , but that makes the side of the trailer wet and sometimes dirty from the water... If I think of it , I go up my ladder with broom in hand before and take a second to sweep the topper.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.....Lots of ideas and I guess I'm not alone.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 19' long by 3' deep slide topper on our TT. I had my dealer tighten it after several camping trips as it did get somewhat loose. It is better but still collects water on one end. If it had been installed at a steeper angle it might have worked perfectly but then you run the risk of wind getting under it when going down the highway and blowing it off where the topper attaches to the TT wall. I also have the center cradle installed as mentioned in a post above.

If it rains and stops and I am not leaving for a day or two or longer I just bring the slide in to drain the water and move it back out. Easier than trying to find a fix or bring more stuff with me.