cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop slide topper from sagging?

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I have two slides with toppers I recently changed. The smaller bedroom topper is always pretty tight and sheds water. But the larger living room topper always collects a water puddle in the middle which quickly turns into a brown oval. Ya cant see it when standing on the ground but its still bothers me that it wont shed water like the other slide. What can I do to help stop the water from collecting up there? Or is this just the nature of the slide topper?
21 REPLIES 21

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the smaller toppers stay snug for that very reason: they're smaller. The larger toppers would require so much tension to stay taut that it may create too much stress on its attachments.

That's my thought anyway since our large topper does the same as yours with the smaller toppers being just fine. But I'm like Dick_B: "However, when all is said and done I just let it pool and it runs off when I retract the slide. No need to carry any more `stuff' for a sometimes problem."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Ours also collects water. I've tried throwing a rope over the topper and affixing in on each end which tends to form a channel for the water to run off. However, I'm also concerned that this will stretch the cover which creates its own problems.
I really like the idea (mine) of a perforated pvc pipe just slightly longer than the width of the cover. The water flows into the pipe and out the end. See stretching note above.
However, when all is said and done I just let it pool and it runs off when I retract the slide. No need to carry any more `stuff' for a sometimes problem.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If the topper roller tube is bowing, Dometic has a cradle kit which works well-
-- Chris Bryant

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Does the water come off when you put the slide in? If it works why would you need to fix it?

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Awning Air Wedge
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some that have made an inverted "T" out of white PVC like a coat hanger used at a clothing store upside down for the lenght of the slide out.

navegator

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
We put a large beach ball in the center of the slide topper. Water runs right off.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram
2007 Fleetwood Prowler Classic 240 RKS