cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Mathew

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting here on the farm in a 45' RV in Ft. Lauderdale waiting for Hurricane Mathew. There is no way I can move the RV because the ground is too soft. My question is, do I leave the jacks down or do I raise them? I'm thinking raising them makes more sense. I will bring in my slides. Any other things I should do?
Stefan
40 REPLIES 40

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion wrote:
sflabrkr wrote:
I stayed at my daughters house. It was such a nothing event the pool level didn't even rise.
could have been much worse

Glad to hear you are safe!
Yeah, me too. But, where are you? I think it matters some...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
sflabrkr wrote:
I stayed at my daughters house. It was such a nothing event the pool level didn't even rise.

Glad to hear you are safe!
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The same Dodos are the ones who want the FD to rescue them.Do you think maybe a tornado could be spawned by 130 MPH winds? I was in Vietnam and had to be outside in 60 MPH gust to 90 and tin and limbs were flying horizontally with the rain. Oh well too late now. Hope you survive to tell a wild tale.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
We are located in Umatilla which is about 40 miles directly north of Orlando. We are at Olde Mill Stream RV Resort. Mid day the campground notified us that the Fire Marshall has requested that all RV's should be evacuated. Around 4 pm today we took refuge in the campground clubhouse. The brunt of the hurricane is expected to begin around 1 am with sustained winds of 70 mph plus higher gusts. The winds are expected to continue at the sustained levels for over 12 hours. We will be so happy when it is Saturday. ๐Ÿ™‚

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will not be riding it out in the RV, I will be going to my daughters house.
John: That is what I'm going to do

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Hi Stefan, I'm John, Since you can't get your coach out of the way of that incoming storm and on soft ground what I would do is retract your jacks, retract all your slide outs, by doing this you will be streamlining (less wind drag) your RV as much as possible. Good Luck my friend!

Keep those jacks up... remember, you want to keep the coach center of gravity as low as possible.

Be prepared to clean up some water. A high wind can drive rain thru your fridge vent on the roof or on a slideout. This water will have to go somewhere..I know from experience having camped in a big Nor'easter that hit Cape Hatteras a few years ago.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Stefan, I'm John, Since you can't get your coach out of the way of that incoming storm and on soft ground what I would do is retract your jacks, retract all your slide outs, by doing this you will be streamlining (less wind drag) your RV as much as possible. Good Luck my friend!

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Do Not RIDE OUT A HURRICANE IN AN RV/ TRAILER OR MOBILE HOME!!! You are looking at 110MPH winds or greaterCat2-4 storm possible. I have lived on the texas gulf coast all my life. The last place I would ride out a storm of any kind would in an RV. These storms spin off tornadoes like no body business. My life is not to be played with. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THAT CHANCE IN AN RV. GO TO A LOCAL SHELTER .

BOOTY
Hurricane Carla 61
Hurricane Alicia 83
Hurricane Ike 2009
And many depressions and Tropical storms.

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter lives not to far from here. If it gets bad I'll stay with her.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
sflabrkr wrote:
Traffic is so bad right now I probably couldn't get anywhere fast.
maybe but anywhere is better than where you are now. you're running out of time.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I was born in Florida 77 years ago and have seen a lot of wind and water. Do the best you can for your property, gather up your loved ones, and LEAVE. No matter what side of a Hurricane you are on the accompanying tornadoes and wind sheers will be unpredictable as are flying trees and debris. If you are in Broward I suspect it is already too late to leave so identify your safe place and go there. Like many others I will be glued to the weather channel for the next few days. lizzie

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic is so bad right now I probably couldn't get anywhere fast.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Get a big wrecker to come tow that motorhome out of there! Then high tail it for New Orleans.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Latest CRAZY track has the storm turning east off the GA/SC coast, then a little south.

Some are even saying it COULD return to South Florida to make landfall...a SECOND TIME!

WAY too early to predict, but the RV may have to ride out the same storm...twice.