cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm a retired salesman

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoy this forum and have found quite a bit of valuable information... and appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience.

But I have never seen so many disparaging comments stereotyping all salesmen as clueless liars and cheats.

It seems when a new poster is asking for help regarding their 1st RV purchase the first advice they receive is "don't trust the salesman", "they are all liars", "the only thing they're concerned about is their commission".

What a bunch of cynics this crowd is!!! I feel sorry for those who have such little faith in humanity.

Granted, there are less than honest people in all walks of life and occupations... you may be one of them, hence your suspicious, distrusting attitudes.

The dealer and salesman I purchased our 2011 RAM from was outstanding.

The RV dealer I'm working with to purchase our 5th wheel is also outstanding.

I didn't sell RV's, TVs, or anything associated with camping. I sold life science research equipment and I'm damn glad many of you were not my customers.
95 REPLIES 95

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys

Understood... to each is own.

I enjoyed our little debate.

All the best,

Sid

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
No the sad way to go through life is going poor me someone lied to me and because of that I purchased a house I could not afford, the car I bought is a piece of junk, the RV I bought leaks, I can not tow the trailer that I bought because my truck wont pull it. Could go on and on and on. Become responsible for yourself and stop blaming everyone else. Tell me do you have blind trust with anyone with your money? I do not. Properly run business do not either that is why they have INDEPENDENT audits because they do not trust there own people.

I don't recall anyone blaming someone else for their troubles in this thread. Maybe I missed it.

And what have I stated (or anyone else)in the replies for you to ask "Tell me do you have blind trust with anyone with your money?"

I have advocated being prepared, doing your homework, study and education to enable yourself to find a good salesperson and dealer.

I agree with you completely "become responsible for yourself".

Blind faith is no way to proceed through life... but fear and distrust
of everyone can be just as detrimental.

With your distrust and believing you are being lied to regarding the price or the terms of a transaction... every major purchase you have made must have been a nightmare for you.
What you call fear and distrust is what I call being responsible.
I have no nightmares when I make a purchase or have a service performed no matter how big or small however I have been and will be a nightmare to those that are caught trying to take advantage of me or my family. And yes I do look for those people each and every time.
We have very definite fundamental rules in our lives. I would rather be the pessimist that goes around smiling and happy because things did not turn out as bad as I had planned on than being the optimist that goes around disappointed that things did not turn out as good as he had hoped.

So to each to his own.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
No the sad way to go through life is going poor me someone lied to me and because of that I purchased a house I could not afford, the car I bought is a piece of junk, the RV I bought leaks, I can not tow the trailer that I bought because my truck wont pull it. Could go on and on and on. Become responsible for yourself and stop blaming everyone else. Tell me do you have blind trust with anyone with your money? I do not. Properly run business do not either that is why they have INDEPENDENT audits because they do not trust there own people.

I don't recall anyone blaming someone else for their troubles in this thread. Maybe I missed it.

And what have I stated (or anyone else)in the replies for you to ask "Tell me do you have blind trust with anyone with your money?"

I have advocated being prepared, doing your homework, study and education to enable yourself to find a good salesperson and dealer.

I agree with you completely "become responsible for yourself".

Blind faith is no way to proceed through life... but fear and distrust
of everyone can be just as detrimental.

With your distrust and believing you are being lied to regarding the price or the terms of a transaction... every major purchase you have made must have been a nightmare for you.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TyroneandGladys wrote:

Well said Sir!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys

Don't you believe if you asked enough of the right questions that you would be able to easily determine if you were being lied to?

I hope for your sake you do not belive that

Well actually I do. If I've done my homework and understand what I'm purchasing I'm confident I could determine if I'm being bamboozled by asking the pertinent questions.

Also, if a customer seriously asked me if I have ever "lied to a customer"... in effect questioning my integrity... I wouldn't want their business and walk out of their office.

If you are a salesperson that sold a product for less than your original asking price then you lied to your customer about what it would take to buy your product or service originally. If you ever included something extra to close the deal you originally lied to your customer on what the price included. If you gave more for a trade-in than what you originally offered then you lied to the customer originally.
Again the majority of salespersons are honest but my point is how do you know if yours is or is not. And I stand by my claim that you can not determine the honesty of a truly dishonest person by questioning them if that was true there would never be any employee theft or frauds such as what Bernard Lawrence "Bernie" Madoff committed.

Have you ever sold your car to a private buyer? Have you ever sold your home. Have you ever listed and sold anything on Craig's List.

When you sold any of these items did you ever accept less than what you originally listed?

If so... are you a liar?

BRAVO you finaly got it!!!!!!!!
So I guess when you buy anything, your offer is your only offer. Otherwise you would be a liar as well. Pretty sad that you think so poorly of our capitalistic economic system. Maybe you should move to some place with strict price controls, that way no body will lie to you. North Korea and Cuba come to mind. I am sure all the citizens of those fine, upstanding countries appreciate that only the stone cold truth is told there.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
So if I understand you correctly...

For you personally it's very easy to know when you are being lied to... because everyone is a liar.

There is no reason to assess the integrity of anyone because everyone is a liar.

Trust no one... that's one way to go.

Sounds like a pretty sad way to go through life.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys

Don't you believe if you asked enough of the right questions that you would be able to easily determine if you were being lied to?

Well actually I do. If I've done my homework and understand what I'm purchasing I'm confident I could determine if I'm being bamboozled by asking the pertinent questions.

Also, if a customer seriously asked me if I have ever "lied to a customer"... in effect questioning my integrity... I wouldn't want their business and walk out of their office.

If you are a salesperson that sold a product for less than your original asking price then you lied to your customer about what it would take to buy your product or service originally. If you ever included something extra to close the deal you originally lied to your customer on what the price included. If you gave more for a trade-in than what you originally offered then you lied to the customer originally.
Again the majority of salespersons are honest but my point is how do you know if yours is or is not. And I stand by my claim that you can not determine the honesty of a truly dishonest person by questioning them if that was true there would never be any employee theft or frauds such as what Bernard Lawrence "Bernie" Madoff committed.

Have you ever sold your car to a private buyer? Have you ever sold your home. Have you ever listed and sold anything on Craig's List.

When you sold any of these items did you ever accept less than what you originally listed?

If so... are you a liar?

BRAVO you finaly got it!!!!!!!!
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys

If so... are you a liar?

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
sidney wrote:
TyroneandGladys

Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I have NEVER played the 'show me the invoice' game. As I said, a good 15 minutes on the internet should give you a thorough knowledge of any vehicle/RV. You should also know the value of your trade, (if you have one), how much you owe on it, and how you will pay for the new vehicle. I don't waste my time, playing one-up games with the salepeople. I know they have to make something on the deal. I tell them, the deal that I want. If they can't accomadate me, I go somewhere else. No dishonesty involved.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
noe-place wrote:
The fundamental issue is we allegedly work under a capitalistic system and everyone wants to make money. Everyone who spends their money doesn't want to spend more than they think is fair. Somewhere is a middle ground, that if honest negotiations take place, will be found and end in mutual benefits for both buyer and seller. The problem in America presently is that everyone has been convinced that "I'm going to get mine" and everyone else can go to blazes. I have witnessed people who I worked with for years ready and willing to "stab co-workers in the back" in order to achieve success. It does seem if we could all subscribe to it that honesty is the best policy.

I agree!

I fired more people for trying to climb up on others backs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
The fundamental issue is we allegedly work under a capitalistic system and everyone wants to make money. Everyone who spends their money doesn't want to spend more than they think is fair. Somewhere is a middle ground, that if honest negotiations take place, will be found and end in mutual benefits for both buyer and seller. The problem in America presently is that everyone has been convinced that "I'm going to get mine" and everyone else can go to blazes. I have witnessed people who I worked with for years ready and willing to "stab co-workers in the back" in order to achieve success. It does seem if we could all subscribe to it that honesty is the best policy.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC

Slow down dude, no need to make it personal
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)