cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I may be nuts, need second opinion

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize in advance for the long post. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

My GF and I are new to camping, bought a 2007 Aerolite 718fd in Feb. We made a shakedown weekend trip to Myrtle Beach SC just for a weekend. Then we made a trip in April to Florida all the way to KW, about 1800 miles ( 3 weeks ). Around Labor day we made a 10 day trip to the NC mountains, Franklin, Cherokee, and Chimney Rock.

We have really enjoyed the TT and plan to return to Fl this winter. The reason for this post is we are toying with the idea of taking off cross country. My reason for this post is to get opinions on whether we should try this with the current TV we have.

My truck is a 2004 F150, 4.6l 4x4 3.73 with 125,000 miles. Truck is in very good condition for its age. I have had new plugs, coolant flush, and transmission oil change since the 100,000 mile mark. Just installed Blisten shocks all around in Sept.

My weights per Cat scale on our trip in Sept are as follows:

steer axle 3200
drive axle 3260
camper 3320
gross 9780

truck 6110
By my calc trailer was 3670 and tongue weight was 350

These weights were during our 10 day trip and included all our " stuff "

The truck used between 1/2 to 3/4 qt of oil on the Fl trip ( 1800 miles +/-. I just had the oil changed and it used 1/2 qt in 3000 miles which included the 900 miles or so in the mountains trip.

I think the weights are ok as far as towing limits but my concern is the stress that pulling in the Rockies may have on my tv. The f150 did pretty good on both trips ( gas mileage s**ks ), pulls easily on flat ground, although it did not like the real long uphill grades in the mountains. It was only a problem on 3-4 long steep grades we encountered, requiring downshifting and slow going. Braking and handling ( sway ) no problem. I'm using a friction sway control bar. According to scangage highest temp reached on mountain trip was 202 on both engine and transmission. ( "normal" engine temp is about 188, tranny 175/180 )

My biggest concern is the long grades we would have to deal with out West. I lived in Idaho many years ago so have driven the Rockies but never towing anything.

I know there is no one answer but would like opinions, especially if someone with a similar rig has done this.

Option number 2 is to stay on flat ground and look for a newer 2012 / 2013 f150 with the 6 speed tranny and a 5.0l for more power.

thanks in advance
17 REPLIES 17

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you have the perfect match of TV and TT. also sounds like you are taking care of it with the maintenance. I say go for it!

I did it back in 05 with a 110k mile Dodge conv. van. towing a 6500lb 28ft TT.

Have a great trip!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, what is your concern with the grades? Is it having to drop down a gear or two and pull some 3000-3500 rpms? Or do you need to be able to hold 65 mph going up the grades? Or is it just the higher mileage your truck has?

My 16 year old F150 takes the passes here in WA State pretty good, but it's in 2nd gear, pulling 3000-3500 rpms and I feel I only need to go 50-55 mph. Still pass all the semi trucks! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm not pedal to the floor either. I will let the truck downshift and then I pull the gear lever to "2" and just let it cruise where it feels the most comfortable. Been doing this for over 11 years with this truck and trailer combo. The truck has over 252,000 miles on it too.. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've got some aftermarket TRANS and WATER temp gauges, so I can monitor them and it gets to 210* on hot summer days, but cools back down to 195* on the back side, or when it flattens out again.

If you want a new truck, by all means get one.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd love to have a shiny new F150, but it'll still need to pull higher rpms and slow down going up the grades... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:

Option number 2 is to stay on flat ground and look for a newer 2012 / 2013 f150 with the 6 speed tranny and a 5.0l for more power.

That ^^^ one- but I'm no expert, just a wife. Thing is, you sound just like my Husband when he really really wants something and is looking for support that helps justify the "need"...

I say, go for it!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien