cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In dash touchscreen

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Silverado with touch screen in dash.
Using maps on iPhone connected to USB port on truck, IMAPs works great on touchscreen.
What I would like to do is show Googlemaps on the dash screen but can't see how to get it to switch.
Help,please
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin
27 REPLIES 27

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Apple forces you to use their mapping app. They control which apps are available in CarPlay. My wife has a Honda CR-V with CarPlay, and I researched using Google Maps or Waze, but Apple only allows a handful of apps.

I love my Apple products, but sometimes I wish they would loosen the strings a little.

Ditto!
P.S. love Georgia!
Spent last week at Skidaway Island outside Savanna .
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
The problem is trying to use a Google product on an Apple platform. It's not a problem with Silverados.

Poor choice of words on my part .
Sorry

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Apple forces you to use their mapping app. They control which apps are available in CarPlay. My wife has a Honda CR-V with CarPlay, and I researched using Google Maps or Waze, but Apple only allows a handful of apps.

I love my Apple products, but sometimes I wish they would loosen the strings a little.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is trying to use a Google product on an Apple platform. It's not a problem with Silverados.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the problem is only with Silverados.
I'm using a 6 plus phone with the latest IOS.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
deleted incorrect info
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
The problem occurs with the use of an iPhone.
I believe with an Android system it's plug and play.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look up Android Auto. My new F-150 can use either Android Auto with an android phone or Car Play with an iPhone.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
According to Google your truck has native support for Google built in... More info here

https://www.android.com/auto/chevrolet/

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Via private messaging I've been told you have to "jailbreak" the system.

Same thing for a Ram, it's called the lock pick. There's two versions one hardware and software the other purely software.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:

That may be true as well, and as much as I'm a "techy" person, I've never seen the need to jailbreak my iPhone.

I know the iMaps have been very good to me. They alert of heavy traffic, accidents, and other issues. But quite frankly I'm sure that most good maps will do that. They all use algorithms from user data to compute travel data.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
In order to display the google maps, I believe you have to use an android device. Since you're using CarPlay, you're limited to the apps that are congruent. Google probably won't support their product through Apple CarPlay platform.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF