cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance for others for my RV?

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
If I was lending my RV to friend for a trip, is he covered under my insurance? What if he's paying to use the RV? does that change anything?

Do I need a different policy or to have him find get his own policy?
17 REPLIES 17

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
You best call your own insurance carrier rather than rely on answers you get here.

The first answer was the Best and Correct. YOUR insurance carrier is the ONLY one that give you the correct answers. I would also request it in written form.

Agreed to the nth.
Should the insurance company say yes OR no be sure to ask them for the relevant section of the policy so you can read it for yourself.
HTH

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
You best call your own insurance carrier rather than rely on answers you get here.

Awwww c'mon.......answers on an internet site are always reliable..:R

~

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Different insurance companies have different rules. Some insure you in any vehicle you drive and your vehicle with any driver (not specifically excluded); others only insure you in your vehicle; others are variables between those two extremes. This can be different for folks insured through the same insurance company (mine was the first, my sibling's was the latter - even though we had the same company and agent).

Renting the RV, as others indicate, changes everything because it becomes commercial.

As BB-TX stated - call your insurance agent and find out on YOUR insurance plan and have your friend call his insurance agent to find out on HIS insurance plan.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
My insurance was pretty specific: anyone we gave permission to use our Class C was covered - BUT: if it was used for "business purposes", it was NOT insured. And that definition was pretty broad: besides the obvious one of renting the RV, it also included using it to "create income" - an example was filming XXX movies in it. Since we used it for sightseeing, I didn't ask how they would feel about crocheting doilies and then hauling them to craft fairs, for example?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of RV? Insurance issues are quite different for towable and self powered vehicles.

After that, it depends on details of your policy and the other person's policy. Most drivers have liability coverage for anything they drive, but with limitations that will keep you from being fully protected. Some collision policies cover loaning a vehicle, others do not.

Getting paid changes everything, for you, not so much for the other driver. You would need a whole different class of liability insurance, might have difficulty getting any comprehensive and collision. Rental companies use the contract to protect themselves (just read one for any vehicle rental) then try to get the customer to buy additional insurance for the occasion.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
If you rent the RV your insurance will be void and you will need commercial insurance.

Bingo!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
lending out a rv is a great way to lose a friend.

X2
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Have your friend get insurance on the RV. Cancel when they return it to you.

This is the Best Way to go! Your ins. normally covers others with your permission, provided they have a current drivers license? Your insurance co. will be the first to pay, minus the deductible. Now should the damage exceed your liability limits, you could be in for a law suit. Best advice is do not borrow it out, period.

No you can't rent on the policy you have, it would have to be a commercial policy.

Brian

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Have your friend get insurance on the RV. Cancel when they return it to you.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you rent the RV your insurance will be void and you will need commercial insurance.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
lending out a rv is a great way to lose a friend.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:

The first answer was the Best and Correct. YOUR insurance carrier is the ONLY one that give you the correct answers. I would also request it in written form.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Normally most insurance will cover another user of your equipment. However, check the clause that if you charge, it becomes a different animal and they generally will not pay. So I guess I am saying if you are going to charge your friend, do it under the table, no written agreements.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is that unless prohibited by your policy then if you let a friend drive it your insurance is effect. If he pays you for it does not matter. If you make a habit of lending for money, then you will need a new policy as it will now be considered a rental. But as others have said check with you agent.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT