cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Introducing myself

watersprite
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my name is Steven and I currently live in western Washington. I am single, 63 years old and a veteran. I also have some heart issues, to include aortic valve replacement and lung issues-emphysema. I get around fair enough but I lack stamina.

Enough of the sob stuff...I need to change some things in my life and one of them is selling the old farm and finding a way to enjoy the few I have left. Retire that mortgage and be debt free, taking the remaining assets and start truckin'.

Another member brought to light the difficulty of "hooking-up" a trailer by oneself, so...I guess I need a 5th wheel. Okay so here goes...

Assume I will be driving a 3/4t, probably 4x4 and at least a V-10 (I have yet to purchase). What size 5th wheel should I be shopping for? Also, I will be living in it full time, all the time. And a class-B or Class-c is out, I need a pickup for fishin'.
14 REPLIES 14

watersprite
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses, which I appreciate. They, along with other "stuff" convinced me to go into discussion with my ex about teaming up. The talks are still ongoing but proceeding well. Very well. As she is much younger and in good health, many of my concerns regarding "old man vs. overwhelming beasty towable" is settled.

Thanks all, nonetheless. ๐Ÿ™‚

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Wanna, might want to look at quick connect fitting for your hose systems. I also keep a pair of slip joint pliers hanging at the entrance to where I store the water hoses.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with wanna.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
watersprite, I want you to know you can handle a TT if you find one you like and is the right price. I am a 55yr old female who has arthritis in my knees and wrists, so don't do things that require lots of hand strength or lots of standing. I currently travel in a TT by myself and manage to hook up by myself. Actually the water hose gives me the most trouble and you will have it no matter what you travel in. I have learned the trick is to have a pair of pliers handy.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
You're right, bsinmich; my bad. The hitch weight should be 20% of total loaded fiver weight.

As far as a Class C or A with toad, do remember, the OP is alone and would first have to stop somewhere on the way to the campsite and unhook the car before he backed into an RV site. And there's no reason one cannot put down the jacks on a fiver while still hooked to the truck. They are stabilizers, not lifters. And if the fiver travels level, as it should, there would be no reason to put the jacks down.

I agree that first renting a Class C would be the best way to go. And really, hooking up a trailer isn't all that difficult for a single person. I'm sure, living on a farm, watersprite has hauled quite a few farm trailers and the only thing different are the anti-sway/equalizer bars which s/he would be able to handle.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
I think renting first is a great idea. I also think a small class A motorhome with pop outs and a tow vehicle is good for a single person. As someone stated, no back up problems and you can turn off the ignition and watch TV without doing anything if you don't feel like it.

Best of luck on your new adventure and welcome to the forum!!!

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, I have never had a fifth wheel. But I do stay at rv parks about 100 days a year and have watched lots of folks set up. A motor home is simpler, the rigid truck frame permits not putting down the auto jack on days you wish to keep it really simple. When your are by yourself, backing and maneuvering a large trailer is more complex also.

For my fishing vehicles I tow a small 4 wheel drive pickup.

Since your questions indicate you are just starting out, consider renting a class C for a couple of weeks. Your experience level will soar and help you make the right decision

pops

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
PennyPA wrote:
Pops, I imagine you've never had a fifth wheel if you think it takes 30 to 45 minutes to set one up. Heck, it doesn't even take that long to set up a trailer.

Watersprite, you have copd and the best thing you can do for yourself is get exercising. Walking is the #1 thing...can you walk for 30 minutes? How about increasing that to an hour...7 days a week.

As far as what size fiver your future truck will be able to handle, if you've pretty made up your mind which truck you want, go to the webpage for that truck and see what its gvwr is. You cannot go over that weight which includes any passengers and all the stuff you plan to carry in the bed of the truck remembering that your hitch will weigh about 150 to 200 lbs.
Now that you've got that number, check to see what your future truck's GCWR (combined weight rating) is. Ideally, your "hitch weight" (weight ON the hitch) is about 10% of your total LOADED trailer weight. You have to also make sure you don't exceed the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) once the fiver is hitched. Remember, when you see a trailer that weighs xxx lbs, that's the UNLOADED weight. Check to see what the GWR is of the trailer and don't go over that either.

The 2013 and 2014 trucks appear to be able to pull, and stop, larger loads than the earlier trucks. And

This post is confusing. The 10% hitch weight is more applicable to a TT, not a 5th. wheel. The pin weight of a 5th. wheel is usually much higher because it is over the rear axle and not the bumper.

I use a walker to hook up and it is about 10 min. to unhook the car, level the MH and hook up electric & water. I have a class A & SUV toad.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Pops, I imagine you've never had a fifth wheel if you think it takes 30 to 45 minutes to set one up. Heck, it doesn't even take that long to set up a trailer.

Watersprite, you have copd and the best thing you can do for yourself is get exercising. Walking is the #1 thing...can you walk for 30 minutes? How about increasing that to an hour...7 days a week.

As far as what size fiver your future truck will be able to handle, if you've pretty made up your mind which truck you want, go to the webpage for that truck and see what its gvwr is. You cannot go over that weight which includes any passengers and all the stuff you plan to carry in the bed of the truck remembering that your hitch will weigh about 150 to 200 lbs.

Now that you've got that number, check to see what your future truck's GCWR (combined weight rating) is. Ideally, your "hitch weight" (weight ON the hitch) is about 10% of your total LOADED trailer weight. You have to also make sure you don't exceed the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) once the fiver is hitched. Remember, when you see a trailer that weighs xxx lbs, that's the UNLOADED weight. Check to see what the GWR is of the trailer and don't go over that either.

The 2013 and 2014 trucks appear to be able to pull, and stop, larger loads than the earlier trucks. And
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Stamina and the fifth wheel. Setting up and taking down a fifth wheel or TT can take 30-45 minutes each time. If you get one make sure the jacks are automated throughout.

pops

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think a Class A with a small tow car would be easier to handle and disconnect and go fishing. It will give you better fuel mileage overall, and be easier to setup and move from campsite to campsite.

watersprite
Explorer
Explorer
I do recall seeing guides, etc., for assisting. It is an option for sure.

Campers are also out - too many low hanging obstacles where I go to fish (my great joy besides my children). Also high wind freaks me out when riding in them! Don't need THAT stress.

Still thinking 5th wheel. I know the farmers sure prefer them for safety and ease of use. So I guess it is size of 5th wheel and size of trailer that I sorely need.

And I am still reasonably strong and nimble, all things relative. It's the stamina that wears at me.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if truck campers are out? But no hooking up,its all there. A lot of truck campers go off road with there 4 wheel drives. Surprizingly enough there like a small apartment .No need to have to hook up to a fifth wheel this way,good luck whatever you choose.You could also tow a boat behind if you wanted.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my name is Steven and I currently live in western Washington.

Another member brought to light the difficulty of "hooking-up" a trailer by oneself, so...I guess I need a 5th wheel. Okay so here goes...

Steve,
You can buy a metal V shaped guide that fits on your trailer ball hitch. This device is just inserted on your ball when loading trailer up and then just hand removed. This device allows you to back up and be off center by 3 to 4 inches. When the trailer hitch hits the metal V shaped device, it moves the hitch dead center over the ball, then just lower the trailer. This device can be bought from any RV store or Cabella's store and it under $50:) Makes the job a piece of cake even for a Rookie!