cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! With reoccurring fresh water odour

Fineoceanparker
Explorer
Explorer
I want to solve this problem once and for all! The problem is fill the fresh water tank and water is all good. Then when it get down to about have way the water start to smell " perfumey" . This is the best description my wife and I can come up with. It's hard to say with the smell if it taste bad but if we boil the water it seams fine. Last year I tried baking soda ( and I was going to try again ) and this year I bought a bottle of after market fresh tank cleaner. I was wondering what other people use? I've read bleach his not the best but I'm ready to tray anything.
6 REPLIES 6

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the bleach sold in pool supply stores. It's referred to as "Shock", higher concentration, but once rinsed, it has no after taste or smell. I try to do it once a year, or if the coach has not been used for weeks in hot weather, I give it a rinse.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Unscented bleach, followed by thorough rinsing. Sometimes we revert to bottled water while waiting for the bleach smell to die down.

I also use that chlorine powder intended for hot tubs and pools. It works well, is very compact and stores forever.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the bleach sold in pool supply stores. It's referred to as "Shock", higher concentration, but once rinsed, it has no after taste or smell. I try to do it once a year, or if the coach has not been used for weeks in hot weather, I give it a rinse.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using a laundry bleach to sanitize the tank? Try switching to an unscented bleach, available at the lumber yards.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
Follow the recommendations in your owner's manual for disinfecting the FW tank. BLEACH!

This! All those other tricks are just that, tricks.

Let it sit in the full tank and all lines/hot water heater for at least 8 hours (at least that is what I do once a year).

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the recommendations in your owner's manual for disinfecting the FW tank. BLEACH!
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X