cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter upgrade

vicmic83
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Magnetek-Parallax Inverter (MOD 7345, 7300 Series) in our 5th wheel and want to upgrade. I have done extensive research on line and have found references to Progressive Dynamics PD4645, and the Parallax 8345. The upgrades I mentioned only show 9 slots for fuses on the fuse board. My 7345 has 11 slots of which 10 are used. (slot 7 is unused). http://www.bestconverter.com/8345-45-Amp-Power-Center_p_69.html#.VUUAWZOYSi8 I can find no information that tells me what modifications I need to make to go from a 11 slot fuse board to a 9 slot. Both the 4645 and 8345 are 9 slot. Emailed Best Converters with the question, she just recommended the 4645 of the two but never answered the question concerning the slot configurations of the two fuse boards. Now that I have you confused, any suggestions?

R, Mike

2000 SKYLINE Triple Slide 35' 5th Wheel.
8 REPLIES 8

vicmic83
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your informative posts. I emailed Randy at "BestConverter". He recommended the Boondocker 60. As mentioned above I will check the Gauge Wire from the Battery to the converter. I would think 6 gauge would be correct. I sent an email back to Randy to see if my 7300 series breakers will fit in the Boondocker. He mentioned that the Boondocker is a prefect fit for the existing opening and there are 12 fuse slots. It was a little pricy at $215. Again, thank all of you for the information. I mentioned the different models that you brought to my attention to Randy.

V/R, Mike

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my Magnetek/Parallax converter with the PD9260. I did not replace the power panel. I also replaced the existing #8 wire from the converter to the battery with #4 wire. Battery now charges much faster.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"enblethen"....good pickup on what he was talking about. Great info from everyone else. This is the way this board should work. Lots of options and ideas for OP to consider.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call RANDY at Best COnverters and see if the PD unit you want will fit in the bottom compartment of the PARALLEX... It may be you only need to pickup just the CONVERTER UNIT and keep your POWER DISTRIBUTION UNIT you already have.

Just tell RANDY you do not want a WFCO WF SERIES CONVERTER

This is also a good time to think about going with more batteries. The PD9260C is what we use here in our WFCO WF8900 SERIES Power Distribution unit...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would verify the size of the current one.
PD 8345
Have you thought about just upgrading the converter section? Do you need additional circuits? Converter section

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
PD4645 on Best Converter web site

As per the manual:

The DC Section:
The DC panel features 12 positions, rated for up to 20A, for accessories including two low-to-full current rated branches. These
can be used for lower current devices such as smoke and CO detectors. Each branch has a red LED light that indicates which
fuse has blown.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You are talking "converter" not inverter.
I would suggest checking wire size between the batteries and the converter. If large enough I would go with a 55 amp. 55 amp
Wire should not be a problem if the converter is as shown in link.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker