cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invisibrake dead tow battery problem

kswitz
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a 2013 ford explorer limited and had Invisibrake installed by an RV dealership. I have had two instances where the unit would not operate at all . then on one long trip we stopped after 4 hours on the road for a break. started the car just fine . car battery was dead 4 hours later . replaced the car battery with the best one i could find . same problem . 4 hours of travel car started fine . 4 hours later , dead car battery . invisibrake said we didnt have our clearance lites on . false . pre-trip check is to visibly check all the lights . then invisibrake said turning the ignition key on causes the dash / interior lights to come on draining the car battery . false again . the car is keyless ignition nothing works until the engine starts . invisibrake then claimed pressing on the car brake pedal was causing the dash lights to come on . false again. doesnt work that way . the problem seems to be intermittant .invisibrake now says the towed needs an auxiliary charge wire from the motorhome . has anyone else expirienced these problems and if so , what was the fix ?
3 REPLIES 3

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of converting my 2012 Taurus into a toad and the research I have done indicates a charge line is necessary.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with the Edge I now tow and the 2009 I towed before that. This Edge has push button ignition and navigation. I just had a battery charge line installed. I haven't taken a long enough trip yet to see if it works.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the invisibrake but a brake buddy. I have a pushbutton start auto also and had issues with battery going dead sometimes and not others. I ran an extra wire with fuses at each end from the motorhome batteries to auto battery.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992