cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is .22mag snake shot enough for moccasins?

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
We don't live (or travel) in moccasin country so I have no experience shooting them. HOWEVER...we have to go to Mississippi to clean out a vacant tenant dwelling owned my my mother-in-law so we can list it for sale. The property is 15 acres with house, barns, sheds, pool and pool equipment bldg. plus a couple of greenhouses. It has been neglected for a couple of years and we have now evicted the tenant.

We have been told by others living in the area that there is trash, debris, etc. all over the property so we know we will encounter snakes and other varmints.

I have been searching for .38/.357 snake shot but cannot find any! I can find 9mm but I don't trust the plastic shells to load properly. I can find lots of .22 mag at Bass Pro so may have to settle for it as it will be in a revolver.

Is .22 mag enough for Mississippi moccasin, copperheads, and rattlers?

Thanks!
61 REPLIES 61

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in the old days my daddy would grab them by the tail and snap their heads off in one big motion as he through them way from him... Seen him do that many a times haha...

Just be aware of where you step and what you are reaching for...

I am always very caution stomping thru the woods where you may have to step over a fallen log. They might by laying on the other side of the log out of sight...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I've used .22 shot shells before, very poor on reptiles unless you are almost point blank. In Arizona, we prefer to remove them from the property and release them alive in a more natural surrounding. However, if there is no other option, I've found a shovel is much more effective than shot shells.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)