cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a lift the answer?

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mobility issue due to severe spinal stenosis. Surgery is not an option at the present. We switched from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer to avoid the inside stairs. The spinal issues are now causing me to have issues with the outside stairs. We have done some research and lifts are expensive. Wondering if anyone has any experiecne with a ramp? To get the three ft lift and not be too steep an 8 ft run would prob be needed. This would not have to permanent. Just curious.
We have a Jayco Jayflight 33rlds,
13 REPLIES 13

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
relulog - hubby will be handling it for me. 50 Lbs shouldn't be an issue, but not sure if 8 ft is looking long enough.

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
Rwmmdj, no problem. Think about using a lightweight but stable intermediate platform with two sets of shorter and lighter (easier to handle and store) ramps to get the length you need. Just an idea. Multifold aluminum 8 footers get upwards to 50lbs.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
Reluyog - I would love to take you up on your offer! But, we're still working stiffs! Not sure 8 ft is log enough as the door is 36 In from the ground. But I appreciate the offer. Maybe someone else cN use it.

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
Rwmmdj, if you are travelling through the Denver area, I have a brand new EZ Access multifold 8 foot aluminum ramp I'd give to you for free. Let me know.
Damian

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
rwmmdj, normally the height is 42", but in the picture it's about 50" since the 5th is leveled and the rear wheels are off the ground. The ramp is is 24 ft long not including the 5 ft square platform. You might look at discount ramps.com for a light weight foldable solution. We are at 2" rise per linear foot which doesn't sound like much, but it is plenty steep.
Damian

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
bainmich - Unfortunately our TT is brand new. We just bought it after Christmas. I didn't have too much trouble getting in when we bought it. My problem is chronic and had progressed since then. We'll make it work, just looking for some ideas.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You have the main reason I bought my GMC MH. I had a problem with the 6 steps on my Mountain Aire and found the GMC which has only 1 step up to get inside the MH. With front wheel drive it has a totally flat floor front to rear but you do have 3 steps to get to the driver's seat.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. We're still trying to find a solution. A lift is actually not going to work due to the configuration of our camper. I think a ramp will work, even though I am still somewhat mobile. Reluyog, If you don't mind, what is the distance from the ground to your doorway? What is the length of your ramp?

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
We use a modified Burr Handy Lift, but also have a modular ramp that gives my girlfriend a platform to roll her wheelchair onto from the entrance door. Both are visible in one image. Good luck. For the full size image see:
Ramp full size
Damian

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
We use a foldable ramp to load & unload our mobility scooters from the van & have seen a couple of campers with ramps for access to their RV's this winter.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The sunrise ramp above may help. I've seen them at some RV shows so you could try one to see if it helps.

There are companies that make aluminum ramps and platforms that breakdown for easy transport. Unfortunately they are about the same cost as a lift.

There are up to 10 ft long folding ramps used for loading motorcycles or lawn mowers into pickup that can be adapted but you would need to add a hand rail in some way to provide stability.

I would get a prescription from your DR. indicating you need a lift or ramp. Then contact http://www.spinlife.com/

To see if they can help you get the cost eliminated or reduced through your health plan/ Medicare

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure this will help you since we have different issues. We bought a steel deck (from Sunrise Decks in Texas) (57 x 57) that when put together has five steps going up to the deck which is level to the RV door. Yes there are more steps but I have them very close to each other which makes it very easy for me to see and not trip going up or down the steps. It's about half or less than half the height of the RV steps spacing so there is no strain. We visited our kids and grandkids in Florida this past winter and our daughter who does have leg and lower back issues found it was great for her to get in and out. You might ask Mark at Sunrise if a ramp would work better for you. Best of luck.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post. Sorry
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper