cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is replacing Jensen Antennae with King Jack an upgrade

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
This is a different spin on the antennae debate. I have a travel trailer with the Jensen omni directional antennae. In looking at the install instructions for the Wingard and the King, I could install the King in the existing location in my TT, if I put a hinged access door on the cabinet that holds the entertainment center. The Wingard would be a major install job. I understand the Wingard is a better antennae, but would the King Jack be a enough of an improvement to justify doing it ?
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Jack comes in two (or 3) flavors. Directional, Omni and Winegard replacement.

A directional antenna is a serious upgrade to the Omni, No moni can outperform a directional antenna.

The Winegard Sensar IV is the best.. Add the Sensar Pro indoor module and it gets better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NERoadRunner
Explorer
Explorer
I did exactly that on our camper, the Jensen antennas are junk. I installed a King Jack rotatable. It helped considerably but our friends with a crank up antenna seem to get a channel or two more than we do when camping at the same campsite.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
seaeagle2 wrote:
This is a different spin on the antennae debate. I have a travel trailer with the Jensen omni directional antennae. In looking at the install instructions for the Wingard and the King, I could install the King in the existing location in my TT, if I put a hinged access door on the cabinet that holds the entertainment center. The Wingard would be a major install job. I understand the Wingard is a better antennae, but would the King Jack be a enough of an improvement to justify doing it ?

Yes, it will be a big improvement.

Jerry

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't compared the Jensen vrs the Jack. I have compared the Jensen vrs a random length chunk of wire, and the wire worked better.
The Jensen is a piece of junk.
By all accounts the Jack is almost as good as the Winegard "Bat-wing" with the "wing-man" add on. I can't picture the Jack not out performing the Jensen.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I probably didn't state it very well, I could install the King Jack in a way in the existing location so I could rotate it.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
I have a travel trailer with the Jensen omni directional antennae. In looking at the install instructions for the Wingard and the King, I could install the King in the existing location in my TT, if I put a hinged access door on the cabinet that holds the entertainment center.

Both the Winegard Sensar and King Jack TV antennas need to be rotated for maximum performance ... if you're not going to do that then there's little point to the exercise.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380