cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this legal???

moniki
Explorer
Explorer
We are fairly new at RVing and have been planning a summer trip to the Northeast. Made a lot of park reservations last year, since I heard that was imperative to get into some of the parks. Some of these we had to pay ahead of time. We made reservations at one popular resort in New Hampshire last November paying in full and receiving a receipt and confirmation. The other day, I received a letter stating that we owed $80 because of the 2019 price hikes.

Is this right? I mean if I bought a plane ticket last year for this year, could they bill me for a price change? I donโ€™t think so. Is this normal for RV parks? Is there anything I can do?

Moniki
66 REPLIES 66

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just my opinion here and I am not a lawyer. If OP had paid a deposit for site I would say it was open to a price increase for the other nights not paid for. If OP paid in full I would think all nights were paid for before price increase and should be honored.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
four pages of spitballing and guessing.

OP hasn't been back yet. Hopefully he/she will come back and provide clarity.

So, since everyone is tossing out their guesses, as well as personal opinions etc, my guess is there's something in the reservation conditions that allow them to raise the price.

Love all the internet lawyering and suggestions to sue (for $80).

Toedtoes had the best recommendation. In order to resolve issues you don't always have to be a blatant a$$hole.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I was fueling my coach a few years ago and the pump cut off before a full tank was pumped. I reinserted my card to continue filling the tank and the price increased $0.02 per gallon. In that incident I considered the first contract was fulfilled at the cutoff.

I would venture that if two people agreed on a price and the price was paid up front in full that would seal the contract from one party changing it without consent of the other party agreeing.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Let me explain this another way; do we agree the parties had a contract? Or do you believe there "might not" be a contract?

Yes, I agree 100%. I just do not know the terms as none of that was presented.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ron3rd wrote:
Let me explain this another way; do we agree the parties had a contract? Or do you believe there "might not" be a contract?

I believe they have a contract with a clause that says the CG can raise rates if necessary. The camper can accept the increase or ask for a refund.
No trial required.
I'm not a lawyer , but I play one on the internet:)
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Since you paid (not just a reservation) I would think you would have a contract. If they did not honor that contract I would ask for a refund.

The seasonal campground I stay at had their property tax double in one year. They had to raise rates the following year. They did not raise rates mid year after everyone had already paid.

Yes they did have a contract. In fact that was Contracts 101 when I was in Law School. The OP is legally required to pay for the site and they are legally required to provide it. The obligation runs both ways.

So you have reviewed said contract and came to this conclusion? Do attorneys often make legal judgments based on virtually zero information from neither side?

When you enter into an agreement to make a reservation, that is a form of a contract. You do understand that don't you? If you don't kindly let me know and I will explain further.

I know perfectly well what a contract is. I am also not assuming I do not have the facts in this scenario to make any determination as to what is correct. Are you suggesting based on the limited details from the OP you have enough info to make even a cursory judgement of what is proper in this specific case?

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Since you paid (not just a reservation) I would think you would have a contract. If they did not honor that contract I would ask for a refund.

The seasonal campground I stay at had their property tax double in one year. They had to raise rates the following year. They did not raise rates mid year after everyone had already paid.

Yes they did have a contract. In fact that was Contracts 101 when I was in Law School. The OP is legally required to pay for the site and they are legally required to provide it. The obligation runs both ways.

So you have reviewed said contract and came to this conclusion? Do attorneys often make legal judgments based on virtually zero information from neither side?

When you enter into an agreement to make a reservation, that is a form of a contract. You do understand that don't you? If you don't kindly let me know and I will explain further.

As an attorney, you should be aware that "contracts" have many caveats. It's not a simple - I paid you, I get my site". There are customer behaviors that can void the contract, there are "no refund" clauses, and there are "prices subject to change" clauses just to name a few.

You can't determine from the OP that the park is in violation of the contract.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
Asking for legal advice from the faceless campers on an RV forum instead of a lawyer makes no more sense than asking them about your sudden onset of intense headaches instead of consulting a physician. If the water pipe in your house burst, would you consult us or call a plumber?

Call an attorney and get good advice rather than getting a ton of nonsense from the speculation of that faceless crowd.

Well I am in fact an Attorney, and yes, he could retain an Attorney, but this case is hardly worth that unless he could be sure to get Attorney's fees in the settlement.

One side to a contract cannot unilaterally modify the contract without offering a separate "consideration". If a party could, what would stop the OP from calling the campground up and say, "I just lost my job so I have reduced revenue; as a result, I am going to pay you $80 less".

This sounds like some BS from a private campground that's hurting and doesn't know what to do.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Man, I'd be super p*ssed and DW even more (being an accountant that counts beans very closely).

I would politely ask them if there is fine print somewhere that says they can do that and if the fine print was available to you at the time of paying for the reservations. If they didn't make you aware of fine print upfront that covers additional charges, I'd say they can't do that. Will they give you a refund, either in part or in full? At the minimum, it's definitely poor public relations. Can your BBB help?

I have no idea about other states, but Washington state supposedly has regulations on what RV parks/resorts can charge customers. I've tried an online search and can't find anything.
What would be the point of any fine print if you could just say you they didn't make you aware of it and now it is null and void. The vast majority of our reservations are made on line with no human contact. In order to complete the reservation you have to click the little "I have read and accepted the policies" box. I would bet over ninety percent of the people don't read them. I still believe that somewhere in the reservation process of the OP was wording to the effect "2019 prices have not yet been set, therefore the price quoted may not be the final price." But apparently we will never know.
And you won't find Washington State's pricing regulations for RV sites online because no such regulations exist. There may be some regulations on mobile home lots regarding rent increases but RV sites are pretty much fair game. About the only restriction would be general price gouging laws should a Tsunami or earthquake take out Seattle. But those laws target all businesses, not specifically RV parks and lodging.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Nother entertaining thread! Ralph, stop being so practical.....no room for that here!
Carry on....
On second thought, has the OP or the rest of the peanut gallery ever thought that this may be standard practice for the resort to increase their bottom line and theyโ€™re just waiting for the phone calls from people telling them to shove the upcharge up their, uhhh, sewer pipe?
And at the same time waiting to collect an extra fee from all the sheeple?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man, I'd be super p*ssed and DW even more (being an accountant that counts beans very closely).

I would politely ask them if there is fine print somewhere that says they can do that and if the fine print was available to you at the time of paying for the reservations. If they didn't make you aware of fine print upfront that covers additional charges, I'd say they can't do that. Will they give you a refund, either in part or in full? At the minimum, it's definitely poor public relations. Can your BBB help?

I have no idea about other states, but Washington state supposedly has regulations on what RV parks/resorts can charge customers. I've tried an online search and can't find anything.

If you plan to do lots of camping, perhaps you might want to look into a membership type CG network. We are Thousand Trails members, and there are others. You will have a contract that is def. followed. We bought a top of the line pre-owned membership for a really good price and can use any of their CGs across the US. There is the initial purchase price and annual dues. We camp around 50-60 nights a year and the per night cost is very low and they never add additional charges. The only problem with Thousand Trails is they don't have CGs in a large portion of the central US.

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelling all the way from TX to NH, a big trip. I don't think a difference of $80 would make me cancel the reservation. You didn't state the length of the reservation. RVing is getting more expensive all the time. Its the cost of doing something you enjoy.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
if $80 is a big deal, let start a #fundme site.
bumpy

Please start one for me, beer just went up almost $1.00 per box.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?