cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this normal tire wear?

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 2015 Viewfinder Signature 32rlss in January 2015 new. I have towed it for approximately 3,000 miles at the most during this year. Trailer is just slightly nose down when towing by about 1 inch. Loaded under maximum weight rating per CAT scale.

I run them at maximum tire pressure per sidewall and check them before each trip.

I noticed this wear after my last trip. Dealer said it looks normal but I wanted another opinion.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

21 REPLIES 21

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, I would have bet anything they weren't ST tires. Funny thing is they from the same parent company as my trailer tires ( westlake).
Mine less than a year old but so far 100% satisfied, and they were one of very few available in 185/80R13 load range D radial
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
That is a tread groove. I checked and the front tires show more where from the suspected scrubbing which I think k would make sense.

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
http://lionshead.digitalhill.com/Vail-Sport-Radial-Tire

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Every vail st picture I could find on the web look nothing like that tread. You've got me reall curious. I am also wondering if that is an actual tread groove along the outer 1 inch edge or if it is from repeatedly scraping on part of the trailer.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
rsaylor3 wrote:
I do have to turn it a lot when backing it into its home spot. That is about to change this weekend when I place her in her new parking spot in my back yard. Then it will be a much straighter shot each time I park her.

We have done about 8 trips so far. The tires are the ones that came stock, Vail Sport ST radials. Was hoping they would make it to 2 years.

Not near it now, but date code was good. There had been a recall on some of these tires so I checked them a month back before our trip to stone mountain.

You positive those are Vail ST tires? post a picture of them. Look more like a performance street tire. I had Vail's on my 5er. They lasted one year before they started looking questionable. Replaced them with Real tires. I put on some Maxxis LT tires.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
That's why I detest wide-track axles on trailers - too much scrubbing on tight turns.

If you google the TT it doesn't look like it has true wide track axle spacing. I had wide track axle spacing on a prior trailer and never experienced that type of tire wear.

The tread pattern doesn't look very RV friendly.

There's several Vail Sport tires recalls on the net. Load ratings and other information on the sidewall is wrong. Maybe you have a mislabeled tire and are under your load rating.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 6 trailers over many years and have never experienced this type of tire wear. I would not call this normal.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like it is hitting something above it, like going over a big bump or curb. I would look in the fender well for a screw or bracket it may come in contact with.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I detest wide-track axles on trailers - too much scrubbing on tight turns.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody! That's what I figured was happening as well but I've been looking every time I see a tandem axle trailer in a parking lot and checking it out and haven't really noticed any like that. But I've been parking at where I have to do about a five or six point backup turn to get an in-between where it needs to be real tight angles really flex in the suspension every time. Moving into the backyard to be a straight shot basically like getting into a campground and back in a straight in. Hopefully I'll see that stop wearing I'll keep an eye on

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like scrubbing, I'd rotate the tires and keep an eye on them.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allow me to second that those don't appear to be ST tires. While General Altimax is wrong, they look like some sort of P type tire - and if that is the case, what we are looking at is the result of overload.

You reported they are Vail Sport ST's, but images on the internet look different. Are you sure you have that right?

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I think you answered your own question about the tire. I got that on my goose neck stock trailer tight turning a lot on a hard surface.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are those trailer tires? I`ve never seen that type of tread pattern on an ST tire! it almost looks like a General Altimax P tire?!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!