cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep toad rides to rough.

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Our toad is a 06 Jeep LJ Wrangler Unlimited. It a great vehicle for towing but when driving it the ride is to rough. It's not lifted, has all stock suspension and tires. We don't go off road with it, it's more a daily driver type.

It rides like a Jeep ( 🙂 ) but if anything can be done for improving the ride I'd like to try.

Anyone have any success at this?
2012 Discovery 40X 380hp ISC.
Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK
71 REPLIES 71

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
LJ's are HIGHLY sought after in the off-roading community. If you aren't using it in that capacity you can sell it and make top dollar.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Traded mine for a 2018 GMC Canyon. Night and Day difference. Much more comfortable and quiet ride.
Mark

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
There's so many good ideas here it's going to take some time to research the options.

Thanks for the replies! I never thought this question would generate so much interest.

I'm thinking I'll just buy a Costco seat cushion... till I get new JL car fever.

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
CVD wrote:
As others have said, shocks, tires, and tire pressure are the place to start (and stop). Springs don’t really effect the ride quality as much as you’d think. They mostly hold the vehicle at a particular height.

Oh I would have to completely disagree - ride starts with the springs and cheap aftermarket springs equal terrible ride. A lot of science goes into the rate of compression of those springs and how they rebound. Going from a factory spring to a cheap aftermarket is the fastest way to learn to hate your TJ, especially when you feel the cracks in the road through your neck.

OP is talking about improving ride with stock ride height, I assume stock OEM springs & shocks. "Upgradjng" the worn shocks would be worthwhile (think he's now done that).  Not much improvement should be expected from different springs, would only do so if he's looking for lift.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't owned a Jeep in ages but stiff suspension and Jeep just doesn't seem to mesh.
The MB Jeep I had on the flight lien in Nam, you could walk it up a wall. Rough roads were not as smooth as my F150 but it had suspension travel and did not beat me to death.
If you can tow it get a 4x4(necessary for being towed F150. My 05, Saddie, takes RxR tracks and everything else like it wasn't there. It is two wheel drive 4 door cab though. The new light weight easily bent aluminum ones, I'm not sure. Try it out first.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
CVD wrote:
As others have said, shocks, tires, and tire pressure are the place to start (and stop). Springs don’t really effect the ride quality as much as you’d think. They mostly hold the vehicle at a particular height.

Oh I would have to completely disagree - ride starts with the springs and cheap aftermarket springs equal terrible ride. A lot of science goes into the rate of compression of those springs and how they rebound. Going from a factory spring to a cheap aftermarket is the fastest way to learn to hate your TJ, especially when you feel the cracks in the road through your neck.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look on wranglertjforum.com and you will find that people love the ride of the Rancho RS5000x. They say it is a much smoother ride on road, and it is tuned perfect for the TJ/LJ. They are also reasonably priced at about $50 each.

Make sure it is the X, that is the one you want.

I'll be putting them on my TJ when I put a better lift on it.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, shocks, tires, and tire pressure are the place to start (and stop). Springs don’t really effect the ride quality as much as you’d think. They mostly hold the vehicle at a particular height. Shocks do the most controlling up and down. Variable rate springs in particular are of minimal value. Having said that, you should get a tolerable ride from that LJ, but it will never match a uni-body passenger car (i.e. CRV, Equinox, Edge). I tow a modified TJ (Wrangler) for off-roading trips and a CRV for any other outings. Wouldn’t consider a Wrangler unless it would be used off road.

BTW – that LJ will never go down in value. It's much sought after for a starting point for off-road builds (perfect "in between" 103 inch wheelbase).
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm runnng three vechiles with General Grabber A/T2s
Just went last week to get new 35s on my truck and the A/T2s were not available and ended up getting the General Grabber ATZs
My Wrangler has brand new BFG MTs on it and will be changing them when they wear out.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Thegeorges
Explorer
Explorer
Changing the tires will make a big improvement the factory Bfg tires I had on mine were the worst riding tires you could feel every ripple on the road , switched to the new General grabber m/t tires it was night and day ride , they also make a good all terrain tire too from what I hear , and upgrade from the factory shocks will also help,change out the factory steering stabilizer too

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is the new JL's ride like a proper SUV. I refuse to drive one because I would probably buy it. Ease of soft top removal, plush ride, Rubicon capabilities (If you wanna go that route) all significantly improved over the JK's. Just wait a year or two until they get the bugs worked out.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the shocks with a new softer then the factory type but the compression and rebound from the coil springs are harsh in street and highway conditions.

Doing some research now on progressive springs, maybe help a little or...

possibly I just need to look at a newer version LJ, now the JL.

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Driving a Jeep on flat, relatively smooth highways is ok.

Try secondary and tertiary, potholed, rough roads used for farming, the kind we like to explore, and four hours will change your opinion.

Drove from Dawson City to Tuktoyaktuk last June and back in JK. Took much more than 4 hours. Glad we had a Jeep.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
2 things get a non e rated tired if that’s what you have your looking for a softer sidewall. Get softer shocks
Winnebago Access 24V

Y-Guy
Trigger Happy wrote:
Y-guy They are Cooper Discoverer A/T 30x9.50Rx15
Mostly a roadie tread pattern.

That's a pretty good tire, if your getting up in mileage and you don't do much off road driving you might think of a more highway friendly tire. I switched from the stock Dueler's to the KO2, not as quiet but for the more aggressive tread they are great, and much quieter than any MTs. Fact that you don't have MTs rules out making a huge difference with a new tire.

Have you replaced the shocks? If not I'd start there. You might also check our wranglerforum.com to see if other LJ owners have to say about ride improvement options.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon