cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kitchen exhaust fan

bazaarsoft
Explorer
Explorer
So, after several trips in our first travel trailer, I've finally identified a source of air leakage - the kitchen exhaust fan. When the fans not running, and particularly if the trailer is broadside to a prevailing wind, we get a lot of incoming air from the outside. When it's really hot outside (or presumably cold though in Texas that may not be a big issue) the incoming air makes the A/C work extra hard and sometimes it can't stay caught up. Anyone have ideas/suggestions to stop the leak?
2011 Nissan Armada, 5.6L V8
2012 Dutchman 296FKS
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to mention that my vent has a plastic cover on the outside which is perfect for holding the bag/rag. I guess not all vents are like mine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bazaarsoft
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Mine has no flapper on the outside - it's literally just always open. Guess I'll have to find a replacement that does. Seems obvious in retrospect.

For the moment though I modified 2oldman's idea by just taking the mesh filter down on the inside, lining it with a rag, then put it back up. Obviously I have to take it off when using the fan but it's an acceptable workaround for the moment.
2011 Nissan Armada, 5.6L V8
2012 Dutchman 296FKS

sleepyT
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:
Mine has clips on the outside that swing into place to hold the flapper down when not in use. Take a look, I didn't know about it for years (or I did and forgot...)

X2----I would bet you have tabs that lock your vent lid down on either side of the lid :W
ROSIE&TOMMY
2007 GMC 2500HD DURA MAX/ALLISON
2013 CRUISER PATRIOT 305SK

IN GOD WE TRUST
SEMPER FI

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has clips on the outside that swing into place to hold the flapper down when not in use. Take a look, I didn't know about it for years (or I did and forgot...)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you need a new outside vent for kitchen hood........LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

h2guy
Explorer
Explorer
C'mon, a few strips of adhesive backed window stripping on the sealing edge of the lid and you're done.

Unless the lid itself is badly warped (heat?), if so, then a trip to the RV parts store will get you a new straight one.
Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
The exhaust fan is there for a reason, to exhaust any cooking odors, steam, and grease in the air. They can build up quickly in an RV. Try putting some small weights on the outside of the vent, only enough to hold it closed when the fan is not on. Put the weights on with a removable putty. That way if you get to much on you can remove them. Try washers or small fishing weights till you get the right amount.
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer has a hard flap inside the outside cover that can be shut.

Maybe you could replace yours for convenience.
...or stuff the rag like 2oldman mentioned.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes.

It's also a source of road dirt when traveling. Go outside and stuff a rag in the vent opening. The rag (or plastic bag.. whatever) will stay put if it's stuffed in there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman