cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ladder Mounted Flag Safe?

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
For years we have used the ladder mounted flag pole that we purchased at camping world. It has worked well even though getting up on the ladder to mount it is getting more difficult to do. One night in Florida we had a very bad thunder storm with lightening strinking evereywhere. I got to thinking arn't we at risk having an aluminum flag pole sticking up five feet above the RV attached to an aluminum ladder? The storms come up so fast that when the lightning starts striking I have no interest in getting on the ladder to grab the pole to take it down. What are your thoughts?
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One
19 REPLIES 19

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I myself find it an HONOR to fly the American flag!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Va_Budman wrote:
Hmmm ..... Mark, I can sit in my family room in front of my big screen and "camp". I can "camp" at work in my cube. I can "camp" while sitting on the john.

Point being made in this thread is ..... The American Flag is NOT a decoration. Read the thread please.

Cheers~! And I do enjoy life always ....

I totally agree with you. 🙂
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Va_Budman
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm ..... Mark, I can sit in my family room in front of my big screen and "camp". I can "camp" at work in my cube. I can "camp" while sitting on the john.

Point being made in this thread is ..... The American Flag is NOT a decoration. Read the thread please.

Cheers~! And I do enjoy life always ....
The Virginia Budman
2002 Ford F350 7.3L PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat
2012 Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
Pullrite Superglide 16K
Tekonsha Prodigy
Mistress - '05 Harley Davidson Heritage Custom LE

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
cpmath wrote:
I don't know anyone that has an aluminum flagpole sticking up on a aluminum ladder 5 feet higher than their RV, next month, or next season I would expect you'll be posting asking about an electrical problem AFTER you've been struck by lightning. Do away with the lightning rod and flag, put your flag in a window and camp, not decorate.

Camping is a time to enjoy life. :C If "decorating" while camping is a one way in which you enjoy yourself; go to it. Or you could just sit in your chair and "camp." Whatever YOU want: just do it. 🙂 But don't criticize others. 😛
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
cpmath wrote:
I don't know anyone that has an aluminum flagpole sticking up on a aluminum ladder 5 feet higher than their RV, next month, or next season I would expect you'll be posting asking about an electrical problem AFTER you've been struck by lightning. Do away with the lightning rod and flag, put your flag in a window and camp, not decorate.

I guess that some folks consider our flag as decoration.I can assure you that most folks do not!
Ed (20 years active duty USAF)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

motorhomi
Explorer
Explorer
Quickly retract the jacks and you will be sitting on your tires, problem solved.

Va_Budman
Explorer
Explorer
Bob .... yeah, those Oceana Naval Air Station based jets DO fly low. Camped nearby years ago. Folks in our group labeled that trip as the DUCK trip! Fun.

DE88ROX ... RIR is a MUST do. Fall race especially, as it is the chase cutoff. Find me in the camping area directly across Laburnum Ave on Walnut every Spring/Fall. And for goodness sakes ... buy a Honda genset!
The Virginia Budman
2002 Ford F350 7.3L PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat
2012 Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
Pullrite Superglide 16K
Tekonsha Prodigy
Mistress - '05 Harley Davidson Heritage Custom LE

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would be more worried about wind than lightening, but you do have a point.

FLORIDA

1523 Deaths and Injuries.

Florida was known as the "Lightning Capital of the World" (NASA recently released a study that pegged Rwanda, Africa as the true lightning capital of the world.) With more deaths and injuries than all other states combined, Florida ranks as the #1 target for public safety and lightning awareness campaigns.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
We use a window decal for our flag.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Va_Budman wrote:
Well Bob, cpmath now knows TWO RV'ers who fly flags 5 above the roof of their RVs. Why, I did just that over the past weekend while camping at Richmond International Raceway for the NASCAR races. Weather was perfect. No wind or lightening.

And I do not consider the American Flag to be "a decoration", lumped in with tackey pink flamingos.

RIR is on my "Tracks I must visit" list!
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
cpmath wrote:

I think its safe to assume that you've never camped for a week at a NASCAR race.

On a side note: for those of you that like your space while camping and hate the sounds of generators running 24/7 Ummmm you might want to stay away. just sayin' 🙂

[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Budman
We will be flying our American Flag in your state of Virginia on Memorial Day weekend. The only problem is we need to be careful that one of those low flying Navy jets at VA Beach don't hit it. Ha, Ha just kidding.
Bob and Ann
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for the ideas to mount w/o the aluminum pole
Bob and Ann
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
We proudly fly our American flag always, not above the camper but on a ground mounted pole made of PVC just high enough to keep flag off the ground. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"