cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling Jack Pads

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
This past weekend I was at a Good Sam Rally, we were parked (as others were) on grassy sites. Well it rained and it rained and then rained some more. While setting up I had the forethought to put my yellow plastic levelers under the jacks. Even at set up the jack pads sunk into the ground, I had to use three on most of the jacks.

When pulling the jacks up and after pulling out onto the road I went to retrieve my jack pads. Well half of them were broken in some many or another some were to far below ground level to even think about getting out. When I got home I went searching for different styles of jack pads.

Holly cow I received my new pads yesterday. I order 4 15x15x1 1/2 pads from Big Foot. What a pad what, a product yes a lot bigger than the yellow things, each pad weighs in a 12lb. If this pad breaks they replace for free for life. Now I have not used the pads yet (as I just got them) but from what I see they are well worth the money if you are looking for Jack pads.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
17 REPLIES 17

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
um... one more post ... don't forget to level your picnic table. If using an outside cooking device on the picnic table, there's nothing worse than eggs and pancakes sliding off, or stuff sliding off your dinner plate.

Right now we are camped at Summit Lake State Park near New Castle, Indiana. I currently have 3 of those smaller 2x4's under one picnic table leg, 2 under another and 1 under the third. The 4th is on the ground to get the table relatively close to level. Lumber comes in real handy for lots of things.

I also cut a sheet of left over plywood, 1/4 inch into 2x4 inch pieces. I then painted them with Rust-o-lium black so they would be protected from grease and such, and use them under the electric griddle or camp stove on the picnic table when the table does not get perfectly level. Putting these under the flat griddle, and I can get the griddle almost perfect level, both directions all the time. They are priceless! I've found multiple purposes for them too. I think I have about 20 of them, I carry them in a plastic zip lock bag.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
New fangled stuff. :B Nothing still beats good old treated lumber. Cheap, compared to 12 pounds each, um... not anything near that heavy ... solid, lasts forever, and the footprint can change at a whim or different surfaces.

I've been using these same blocks for the last 20-plus years. Actually, they came out of an old barn when the owner took one of the horse stalls down. The barn was over 100 years old when the stall came down, and that was years before I got the lumber. That timber was so rock solid, I had to cut it with a chain saw. I had enough to cut 6 pieces. I wish I had more.

Now, I carry 4 more pieces all the time that came out of another old barn that had actually fallen. The owner let me get my chain saw and I chopped another post. This one was 6x6 inches and the wood was pretty much a rock again. I carry an assortment of 2x6's, 2x4's, and 2x8's. When I know I'll be parked at a campsite that is unlevel (left-right), I have some 4 foot, 6 foot and 7 foot long boards for under the tires. When parked on grass, regardless of the time of year or where it is, the tires are always on the lumber.

Do they sink in the grass? Yes, but with my folding camp shovel, they pull up real easy. Nothing beats treated lumber. And they never break either.

They come in handy for other purposes too:

Bet you can't do this with Lego blocks? I've painted them several colors over the years:

When we got the 5er, I had to find new ways to carry all this. The shell on the truck has been removed, for obvious reasons:

But, I've always said there is not a right way, or a wrong way, to go camping. We ALL just do it different.

Good luck with your new find. I hope they work as well for you as my solution has worked for me.

Happy Camping, and thanks for sharing.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
$200 ???