cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License, registration, home, visiting.... oh my!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a friend who lives in MO and has a MO driver's license. His jeep (toad) is registered in Kansas and his motor home is registered in South Dakota and he spends about six months of the year as a camphost in California.

Question... is this all legal?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....
33 REPLIES 33

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. The 30 days is for the vehicle licensing and registrations. However, this law may just apply to CA residents.....not really positive if it also applies to visitors.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
lanerd wrote:

I do know that California requires you to be license in California if you are there for longer than 30 consecutive days.
Ron

So does this mean I can't go visit California for more than 30 days? Somehow I can't imagine this being correct. But, if it is, yet another good reason to stay away.

Mike
My understanding: California requires registration of vehicles etc within 20 days of becoming a resident. You can be a nonresident visitor as long as it's less than 6 months.

If you have any California income (visitor or not) then it's subject to California tax. Some examples:
A workcamper who is paid.
You have accounts in California that create income.
You are a non resident but come to California to work for 3 days then those 3 days are subject to California tax while the rest of your work out of state is not subject to California tax.

All of this can get very involved but visitors should just enjoy the many aspects of California.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
indiana used to have that law.that has now been changed to if you are a new resident you have 60 days to change.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Walaby wrote:
lanerd wrote:

I do know that California requires you to be license in California if you are there for longer than 30 consecutive days.
Ron

So does this mean I can't go visit California for more than 30 days? Somehow I can't imagine this being correct. But, if it is, yet another good reason to stay away.

Mike

No that is not correct

JimR

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:

Ron

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I knew a guy who hadn't paid Federal income tax for quite a few years. The penalties were substantial when they finally caught up with him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course if you have enough money you can do just about anything. The guy I knew didn't, he just didn't pay.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy that hasn't paid income tax in 18 years and he and many others say he's a genius. So, if a vehicle owner can figure a way to pay less state tax...how can that be a bad thing?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
lanerd wrote:
I have a friend who lives in MO and has a MO driver's license. His jeep (toad) is registered in Kansas and his motor home is registered in South Dakota and he spends about six months of the year as a camphost in California.

Question... is this all legal?
He needs to check with his state of residence (ie taxes and voting MO?) concerning registration.

Then he should check with CA as he might be considered employed in CA and that might have vehicle registration considerations.

If he were involved in a accident (especially a serious one) somewhere he might just find out what's required and that is the potential legal downside.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The short story is yes generally all your stuff should be registered in the state you claim "residency" in. (Not to be confused with your tax home which typically is the same but can be different for various reasons.)
Residency, registration, licensing or licenses though can be very subjective depending on the personal situation.
Having moved 9 times now in the last 20 years, different state each move, I can say through experience that for the most part it doesn't matter as long as everything is up to date on the tags.
Have had enough speeding tickets etc where when I get pulled over my drivers license, plates and sometimes insurance show up to 3 different addresses in 3 different states and I have not been hassled or cited for it.
You'll find some cops that want to use it as a revenue generator if they see this, but if there's a halfway plausible explanation then it shouldn't be an issue.
If you read some of the registration/ insurance requirements, they could have a person changing plates and drivers licenses at a rapid pace based on location.
IMO find something else to worry about.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
To iterate, it depends on WHERE YOU ARE, not where you came from or where you are registered or licensed before you got there. If you are sitting in California for six months, what matters is California law.

Whether or not you are registered in Missouri or Kansas, whether driver's license matches vehicle registration, whether either of two vehicles matches or not, California doesn't care. California enforces California law, what Kansas or Missouri have worked out mutually, California doesn't care.

Your friend needs to understand what California wants.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Ron I think your friend may have some issues in regards to the Jeep and Motorhome may want to get all in the same state if the Jeep or Motorhome stays in MO.

Also I think you are wrong here (below) the residency laws I have looked up did not make mention of a 30 day rule unless you were going to become a resident anyway and the 30 days is the time limit for registration or driver's licensing one or the other maybe both now.

"I do know that California requires you to be license in California if you are there for longer than 30 consecutive daysthan 30 consecutive days. I do not know if being a camphost may provide an exclusion to this law. I have no idea about SD, MO, or KS laws.....hence my initial post."

jimR

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Things can get complicated. I moved from CA to AZ but the registration on my truck was up in Aug $325 but I didn't move until Jan. So I got a mailing address in AZ but the insurance company wanted a physical address, I don't have one. My CA insurance agent said well have you ever stayed in one of the camp grounds where your going to move, yes I have, well then give them that address. The MVD wanted something other than a mail box so I gave the same address as I gave the insurance co. I registered by truck in AZ for 5 years for a whopping $178. The MVD will put any address on you drivers license . so it has my mailing address on it and not my physical address. I physically moved 5 months later. You need insurance from the same state as your drivers license is issued in other wise if you get stopped the LEO's computer will show you with no insurance at least they how it works in AZ
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
And thank you for your opinion also. For the record, my home address/domicile, vehicle (all five) registration and driver's license are all in California. We spend 5 month (May thru Oct) on the coast of Newport where we own a site at an mh resort. Oregon does not recognize the mh resort as a permanent residence (or else I would have registered my mh there) and therefore does not require me to register as a domicile or license my vehicles or driver's license.

My concern is for my friend who I don't want to have legal problems just because he is unaware of possible irregularities. I have spoken to him on this subject and he has made some inquiries, but just can't seem to find the necessary answers.

I do know that California requires you to be license in California if you are there for longer than 30 consecutive days. I do not know if being a camphost may provide an exclusion to this law. I have no idea about SD, MO, or KS laws.....hence my initial post.

Thanks all who provided good info.

You listed both Oregon and California on your signature page; a fact not an opinion. And another fact is that California or most states if not all do not recognize temporary living even if much longer than 30 consecutive days in the state as necessarily requiring somebody be licensed in that state. Military folks on temporary duty even if months or years and college kids are major exceptions. When temporary becomes permanent then the state has a legitimate claim on their registration requirements. How many snowbirds that go to Arizona, Florida or Texas every year go get licenses/registration in Arizona or Texas or wherever even if they are there all winter? And if you really want to help your friend have your friend contact Missouri or Kansas or wherever's DMV office and that should provide the necessary answers.

If I was looking for this information I would start by asking the question with the Escapees organization as there are many member full timers living everywhere in the nation often spending minimal time in their state of residence. In fact, your friend might benefit immensely from that great organization. Unless there is a compelling reason to be a Missouri resident and except for medical insurance for those not on Medicare there is not really a downside to having the jeep, motorhome, driver's license, and residence all in South Dakota. Of course, he will no longer be a Missouri resident if that is important but will clarify the multiple state registrations if that bothers him.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
JWRoberts wrote:
It's none of my business and probably none of yours either.

Thank you for your opinion.

What a question from the person who is either from Oregon or California!!!

And thank you for your opinion also. For the record, my home address/domicile, vehicle (all five) registration and driver's license are all in California. We spend 5 month (May thru Oct) on the coast of Newport where we own a site at an mh resort. Oregon does not recognize the mh resort as a permanent residence (or else I would have registered my mh there) and therefore does not require me to register as a domicile or license my vehicles or driver's license.

My concern is for my friend who I don't want to have legal problems just because he is unaware of possible irregularities. I have spoken to him on this subject and he has made some inquiries, but just can't seem to find the necessary answers.

I do know that California requires you to be license in California if you are there for longer than 30 consecutive days. I do not know if being a camphost may provide an exclusion to this law. I have no idea about SD, MO, or KS laws.....hence my initial post.

Thanks all who provided good info.

Ron
Ron & Sandie