Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lighting suggestions for rv building

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys
I had a rv storage pole building built that is 40x16 and wall height is 15 feet. It has 3 sides closed to the ground.
I want to install some lights inside so it is not so dark in there when tring to back in.

I am unsure of the type of lighting that would work the best for me,I don't plan on working in there just need some lighting for when backing in and when I need to get into the rv.

Thanks for the help.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion
23 REPLIES 23

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I bet eventually you will do some projects in there and be grateful if you'd installed some fluorescent lights.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I had a polebarn built to house the camper and a few farm implements-it is 40 wide by 64 long and 12' sidewalls. I wanted led lights, but most were too expensive for my taste. I ended up using 6 of this light from Home Depot:
led light
My trusses are on 4' centers and I wanted a light to fit between the trusses so they wouldn't hang down below and lessen the headroom. I just ran a 2x4 across the tops of the trusses and attached the light to the bottom of that 2x4. I ran 14 gauge wire to receptacles at each light (15A breaker) and plug the light into the receptacles. I ran 2 rows of 3 lights. It makes enough light to see even to work by if the work isn't too detailed.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
When I built a garage with an RV bay about 5 years ago, I found out pretty quick that you can spend a bunch of money on just one LED fixture if you start looking at what typically goes in commercial garages and warehouses. I needed at least 12 fixtures, so I wasnโ€™t going to spend hundreds apiece.

Even inexpensive 4โ€™ LED shop lights are going to be about $50 each.

I went with fixtures that are more cost effective, and that have the standard โ€œmediumโ€ screw in base (E26) and enough room for at least an A19 sized bulb. There are lots of LED bulbs available like that in incandescent wattage equivalents of 100-150 watts. Each fixture is less than $20, and each 1600 lumen LED bulb is $2.75.

I think these fixtures would also handle an A21 size bulb, but I havenโ€™t tried one to be sure.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
LED Shop lights mounted on the back side (away from the door facing toward the back of the garage) of the "poles" that run down the side of the garage. No lights shining into your eyes while backing but where you are going is well lit.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps install a few LED floodlights positioned close to the intersection of the walls and the ceiling.
Advanced RV Sprinter

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Put backup lights on the trailer.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I just set a flashlight on the floor where I want the side of the trailer.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
Use LED lighting. Much brighter less cost to run.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
3 chandeliers spaced 10' apart. not too long or they will hit the top of your RV