cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium Ion RV Batteries

philo111
Explorer
Explorer
Except for the price......Are Lithium Ion RV Batteries the BEST alternative for Coach Batteries?
13 REPLIES 13

mikes47
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
There is another type that may be even better called "carbon foam". They can be used in cold weather whereas LI don't do so well.

http://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/

I would expand on this comment to say that LiFePO4 batteries do require the user to be aware of the temperatures in which the batteries will be used. They discharge well in below freezing weather but they get damaged if they are charged when the battery itself is below freezing. Also, they get damaged if the battery itself gets above 140 F. So you put in a BMS and intersperse heaters within the well-insulated battery compartment to maintain the temp above 32 and you are all set.
Mike
RV = 2014 MB Sprinter 3500 long & tall from Advanced RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd jump in here but I don't want to get sassed at.
bumpy

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
philo111 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
"Best" depends on how they are used by the individual. What is best for you may not be best for another, thus your question is impossible to answer.

I'd be using them the same way you do.

You have no idea how I use my batteries. Do you boondock? Do you power AC appliances from the batteries with an inverter? Do you have a residential refrigerator?

By far the majority of all RV owners never camp without electrical hookups. In that situation, just about any cheap battery is sufficient.

Amen ... to all that!
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
From the few Forum members that have them and have posted about them, the Lion batteries are very good for RV's, especially if you have a sophisticated electrical system. They save a lot of weight so that can also be an advantage. Price is a big turn-off.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
philo111 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
"Best" depends on how they are used by the individual. What is best for you may not be best for another, thus your question is impossible to answer.

You have no idea how I use my batteries. Do you boondock? Do you power AC appliances from the batteries with an inverter? Do you have a residential refrigerator?

By far the majority of all RV owners never camp without electrical hookups. In that situation, just about any cheap battery is sufficient.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

philo111
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

philo111
Explorer
Explorer
Chowan wrote:
It depends.

Thanks for the info!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
A very interesting technology that I was not aware of ... but they are Gawd awful expensive.... my new top of the line Lifeline AGM batteries of equivalent capacity are about 1/3 the price.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whats wrong with what we got ? Ninety nine point nine percent of us get along just fine with what came with the RV . Unless ya maybe just like to throw money away .

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is another type that may be even better called "carbon foam". They can be used in cold weather whereas LI don't do so well.

http://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
It depends.