cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Overdue Trip Report - Christmas 2012 in Orlando, FL

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
It's long.. really long, so I'm going to just post a link to the post on my blog:
Christmas Disney 2012 Trip Recap

Longest story shortest, we traveled from Maryland to Florida in one long overnight trip. The and last nights of the trip, we actually stayed in hotels (shocker, I know!).

We went to Disney World, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and also hit Universal and SeaWorld.

Most importantly, it didn't cramp our style when it came to a full-fledged Christmas dinner!

Here are some pictures from it:

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
8 REPLIES 8

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Tim. I'm sure we'll be back. I have no issue with driving a few extra miles or paying a few bucks to avoid traffic.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just read your blog and it sounds like you had lots of fun. I see that you will get a Sunpass, which WILL make your life easier. Sunpass was one of the first things I got when we moved down here. I suggest that you get it before you come down instead of waiting to sign up when you get here - sunpass.com.

Note there is more then one system used in the Orlando area, but Sunpass will work in all E-Pass locations (the other one that is used), so Sunpass is the one I would recommend.

My last recommendation is to use SR-417 to bypass I-4 through Orlando. It is a toll road, and it does add a few miles, but I'd rather pay and take it rather then put up with the insanity of I-4. Driving south, 417 basically ends at Disney. Also, almost all of the 417 toll booth exchanges have been changed over so that you do not have to even stop at the tollbooths - just keep over to the left and cruise right by. Best thing ever.

Best of luck to you in your travels.

Tim

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
The price of TT is hard to beat. My yearly dues (from a really old hand-me-don membership) are less than $400/year and that includes other camping thru-out the year.

As for Disney transportation- we've stayed at Disney resorts in the past. We generally figured on 45-60 minutes from our room to the park gates which isn't a whole lot different than the TT park. Disney transit is a whole lot less stressful, surely.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, absolutely not cheap. I do agree.

About 15-20 years ago, I pulled a camper down to Disney World from Iowa and we stayed about 2 weeks at Ft Wilderness (2 adults and 2 kids). I still think that staying there was the better idea. The bus stop was just around the corner, the restrooms (air conditioned !) were real close and there was a 24 hour pool that was within sight.

We were in the parks early and stayed late. Real easy to get on the bus and head back to the camper for a snooze in the afternoon and then head back to the park. And we could also use the transportation to visit the other 'worlds' or the Disney Hotels to use their pools, hot tubs, etc. Also, we did not have to pay for parking ($15 per day) like you do if you are a day-hopper. And I think we were able to spend more time actually in the parks since we were already on-site.

For a once in a lifetime experience like that, I had no qualms about paying the extra cost to stay at The Fort. Actually, I'm not so sure that it's all that much more. I just looked and if you choose the $75/night campsite, but delete $15 due to not having to park a car, then it's really $60/day. I don't know how that compares to a really nice campground that is nearby but I'll bet they aren't cheap either.

Tim

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've stayed at the Fort before and your Right, its very nice but not inexpensive! Love how everything is at your fingertips though!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
"The drive to/from the parks was pretty painful each day."

That right there is one of the best reasons to stay at Ft Wilderness campground - you get full access to all the various forms of Disney transportation. No driving before or after a long day in the Parks. Also easy to go take a nap part way thru the day and then go back early in the evening.

Tim.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
My shortest comments:
The Orlando Preserve is a pretty big park that will be worthy of its own review in another blog post. But, my first broad stroke review is it was nice. There were camping areas that were fairly wooded with vegetation around and between the sites for privacy and there were camping areas that were fairly wide open with paved pads giving you the choice of what kind of camping that you wanted. Two pools and a variety of amenities. My daughter, father-in-law and I enjoyed playing duck pin bowling. My only complaint was that the 50amp sites were fairly limited and especially so in the "D"-loop where we were. In the winter, it wasn't a problem. In the middle of summer, it could be a challenge.

Basically, it was a nice park. A little too wide open for my tastes in most of the areas. I definitely like the D-loop. Ironically, I was talking to someone else on another forum and he made the comment of, "Oh, you were *way* back there?"

I felt like we tripped the 30amp breaker really easy. Easier than I expected. It made me wonder if it wasn't a full 30amps or something. But, it was also our first time in this 50amp camper on a 30amp site. I'm betting more than not that we were the problem.

Otherwise, lots of activities going on. The rec. center had more people in it than I've ever seen at other parks. The pools looked nice and clean.

The drive to/from the parks was pretty painful each day.

For me, being a TT member, it's hard to pay for a campground when that's already paid for.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good write up....I'll be interested to read your TT comments about the Campground. If I go to the Disney next year, I may want to stay at the Orlando TT along with staying at the "Fort".
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)