cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a truck

mrbadexample
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to retire in 2 years and plan on becoming full time rv'r. Looking to do it in a 5th wheel. Was thinking of getting a truck now, 1 ton, diesel, single axle to get the ball rolling. Truck I was looking at is a 2013 w/ 94k miles. I put about 30k a year on a vehicle so it would have about 150k before I ever attempt to tow. Am I being impulsive?
12 REPLIES 12

mrbadexample
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the feedback!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you are getting the horse before the cart. In two years a 13 will be 6 years old...even cheaper. How heavy a cycle are you going to put on the back? 5ers have more pin weight than they need so putting something on the back will help BUT the tires and axles are usually barely adequate so make sure it has oversized tires and axles.

This forum is the wrong place to ask about DRW and SRW as you MUST have a DRW. I often pull a gooseneck equipment trailer which weighs 20K loaded with a SRW BUT I can position the machine to where the pin is only 10-15% of the weight. I love those on here that say you cannot tow a 5er with that little pin weight...how would they know as they have never done it.:S and it handles fine in the mountains.

I hauled two dual sports on the back of my 34' 5er for several years with a SRW PU. I also position my hitch 2" behind the rear axle which is another thing you cannot do...by those that have never done it. It helps that it is a diesel crew cab long bed truck.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents-pick out the trailer and then look for a truck to tow it. In RV's you want to put the cart before the horse.

To many people buy a truck and are then limited to what they can tow/haul.

In two years you may have decided you want to travel more and stay less, so a motorhome may make more sense than a 5er. OR you may find the perfect spot and decide a park model is what you want. etc. etc.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Any newer drw Cummins powered ram. The 2013 isn't a bad truck. If it has been maintained correctly and is a good price it might be a good truck to start with. They hold their value well if you decide you want to change. Buy cheap, so you can always come out ahead, or buy new if you are decisive and know what you want. Either way can work.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
drv and new horizons are really heavy units

mrbadexample
Explorer
Explorer
Am I setting my sights to hi as far as brand of unit? First time 5th wheeler but have had a Class C for years. Or is this a subject for a different forum?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a dually. You will not regret the decision except maybe when it comes time for tires. Load carrying capacity and stability are only two of the plusses. Remember, any SRW trucks load carrying capacity is going to be limited by tire capacity. And most tires found on SRW trucks will be around 3000 to 3400 pounds each.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you are doing either one of those trailers you will need a dual main thing is weight caring capacity second is stability

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Am I being impulsive?" Absolutely.
"Any input as to a single vs. dual axle?" First rule is buy or select the TT/5er first then match a TV to it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mrbadexample
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses, talking me off the ledge. Wife will appreciate it. Any input as to a single vs. dual axle? Researching 5th wheels now, want something I can put a motorcycle mount on back of, DRV, New Horizons?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Iโ€™d say a bit maybe. Do your research. Depending on brand, 2013 was a transition year for Ram. Power stroke Iโ€™d want โ€˜15 or newer. Dmax, flip a coin but Iโ€™d rather have a used 2017 L5P in 2 years than a LML now.
And personally if I was FT with no shop I wouldnโ€™t want to start out with a high mile rig on the road. Of course if you donโ€™t do your own repairs thatโ€™s a moot point but also an argument for not starting out with a high miler.
As well, no crystal ball here, but truck prices are high right now. Gut says they donโ€™t get much more ridiculous but thereโ€™s a chance economy will slow down and prices will get better.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two years away and your looking at a truck that by your own admission will have around 150K on the clock? Why???
Right now is a great time to buy a new truck and have it paid off before you retire. Or, at the very least buy one newer with much lower miles on it. Remember when you retire your income will drop like a rock, meaning its going to be much harder to pay for a truck then. So pay it off now and plan to keep it until you quit traveling.
You can find deals. Ram trucks places like Dave Smith, and Dennis Dillon deal aggressively. Im sure there are dealers doing the same for both Ford and GM.