cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low Salt / No Salt

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
Got out of the Hospital last Sunday. Another bout of almost a dirt nap. When your told to lower or remove salt from your food pay attention. And no cheating no reward for being good for a week. As it was explained to me one trip to In-and Out could be my last. No or low salt food is boring. I am not a happy camper....
37 REPLIES 37

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
jesseannie wrote:
Low salt/low fat is the wrong approach!
The problem with the American diet is sugar, grain products and starchy vegetables. All the carbohydrates.
My lovely and I are on a high fat, high salt, very low carb nutrition plan. We have lost 200 pounds together and she has reversed her type 2 diabetes. She no longer injects insulin or takes the very expensive diabetic prescriptions at all. Our blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels are all within normal ranges with no statins. My lovely does take one small dose of high blood pressure medicine per day.
This is all under a MDs recommendation and supervision.
We have been mislead about nutrition for years and it is fattening us and the pocketbooks of the pharmaceutical industry
Jesseannie

A low carb low sugar diet is definitely beneficial for folks with diabetes. However, heart conditions like congestive heart failure, are not the same disease.

It's great you've been able to get healthy, but your medical advice to others is severely dangerous. As my father had congestive heart failure, it concerns me when folks post on the internet that a low salt low fat diet is not beneficial or healthy and that all you have to do is eliminate sugar and carbs. Please keep the medical advice to yourself.

So it is ok for other people to express their *medical advice* only if you agree, thanks but no tganks....
I am 5 bypass heart surgery survivor I have done the research and I will stand by my own experience. I was not giving medical advice I was telling my experience. Just like everyone else has done on this thread. So Mister Toes Back off.
Jesseannie

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
jesseannie wrote:
The problem with the American diet is sugar, grain products and starchy vegetables. All the carbohydrates.
My lovely and I are on a high fat, high salt, very low carb nutrition plan. We have lost 200 pounds together and she has reversed her type 2 diabetes. She no longer injects insulin or takes the very expensive diabetic prescriptions at all. Our blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels are all within normal ranges with no statins. My lovely does take one small dose of high blood pressure medicine per day.
We have been mislead about nutrition for years and it is fattening us and the pocketbooks of the pharmaceutical industry
Jesseannie

A low carb low sugar diet is definitely beneficial for folks with diabetes. However, heart conditions like congestive heart failure, are not the same disease.

It's great you've been able to get healthy, but your medical advice to others is severely dangerous. As my father had congestive heart failure, it concerns me when folks post on the internet that a low salt low fat diet is not beneficial or healthy and that all you have to do is eliminate sugar and carbs. Please keep the medical advice to yourself.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
7 years ago I too almost took the long dirt nap when I ruptured my heart. After 2 months in hospital, I went home to start my low salt diet. With the powerful motivation behind me, I managed to cut my daily salt intake to 1800 MG or less. It does involve a lot of home cooking with fresh foods. I found the Mrs Dash line of condiments and seasonings to be very helpful. I also cut my fat intake drastically. If a meal had double digits of grams of fat, it wasn't used. Sugars and all its derivatives also needs to be watched closely.

What I discovered was that there is world of delicious options out there if one reads the labels and get creative. If all I had to look forward to was a bland boiled or baked chicken breast for dinner, maybe the dirt nap was a better option. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. It takes hard work to make it to your old age sometimes.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Jesseannie

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
This was great to here from others. When I got this news I felt all alone, now I know differently. so there is real help out there. We do a dry weight every morning. down 16 # in one week blood pressure staying low, I only get 2 cups of coffee a day. The DW is keeping the salt below 1000 mg a day. Is being on 02, a permanent thing or do most get off of it ?

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Walmart's Great Value canned foods often have "no salt added" versions. Corn, green beans, pinto beans, black beans, etc. Look for the blue notation on the label. Great way to lower the salt content of bean salad and such. Cooking your own beans might be even less salty, but much less convenient especially for life on the road.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Penzey's Mural of Flavor is a great no-salt spice blend- they have some others- you can go here and choose the salt free tag for more. Great company, great spices.
-- Chris Bryant

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to Tiger4X4 for pointing out that salt is ingredient #2 in Smokehouse Maple. I love it on broiled Salmon but would not suggest it to someone who must restrict salt and sodium.

Mrs. Dash brand has some salt-free seasonings that are good. I buy a lot of their Southwest Chipotle.

The main things to avoid are prepared foods like the Hormel dinners (roast beef, meatloaf, etc) because they are loaded with sodium.

And a lot of food you wouldn't expect is high in it - raw chicken breasts often have added salt. Read the labels.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I looked at a few of the McCormick seasonings. I know we don't use them. . . and now I know why. Most of their regular seasoning are 4-500 mg. of sodium per teaspoon. That is what DH has as his goal for an entire meal. The low sodium seasonings are better at 85 mg per serving of 1/4 tsp. But far better to use a seasoning combo with ZERO mg. of sodium.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
DH has been on a low/no salt diet for about 19 years. When he fell off the wagon a few years ago, he ended up in the hospital like you. It wasn't the hospital where his doctors all practice and we were at the mercy of a heart doctor who refused to let him go even after they got the fluid off of him. It was a royal mess, so we decided that was not going to happen again.

Cabelas makes a lot of really good salt free rubs and spices for meats and vegetables. Like others have said, use spices instead of salt. I do not cook with any salt at all.

Eating out is NEVER salt free. There is so much salt added to the food. Even salads. Most large chains have nutrition statements on their websites.

Also, read every label because some foods that normally don't have salt may be saturated with sodium salycitic acid which is a salt solution to aid in preservation.

Fresh food is always best, but read labels.

You must always monitor your fluid intake. DH weighs himself every morning. A couple pound weight gain overnight signals the need to cut way down on food and fluid for a day or two. When that happens he will eat a "lean cusine" dinner (never more than 500 milligrams of salt) for a day and that normally gets rid of the problem.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always read the labels when you have a diet restriction. Even between flavors of the same brand item. You may find one seasoning flavor that doesn't contain salt, but don't assume every flavor is the same. It's amazing how much the main ingredients change with just a simple flavor change.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the other side of the salt fence. I try to stay active, run a lot, work out, eat loads of potato chips and so far my doc has said nothing about my salt intake. I'm going to enjoy it while I can ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.... Low salt .. I just try to keep with the program... A friend had a series of strokes with in a few days that resulted in disabled leg and hand. Real motivation for me to keep with low salt program.... ditch salt shaker and avoid salty food! Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
Try a Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) - no salt, oil or sugar way of eating. Read Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution. Lot's of free info on line. Good luck.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
increase exercise, drink water instead of sodas including diet sodas. Lose weight if you are heavier that you know you should be.
Long term, this is the best advice. Probably get rid of the CPAP too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman