cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MAGELLAN GPS HEADACHE

MUSKYJACK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a MAGELLAN ROADMATE gps that has TRAILERLIFE campgrounds listed in it. I am not very good with computers and I found out that my GARMIN gps is user friendly when it comes to downloading map updates, as compared to the MAGELLAN product. I have talked with a selection of magellan techs, who don't speak very good ENGLISH,nor do they have tolerance for novice computer GEEKS. I have made many phone calls and wrote letters trying to make my gps a useful tool. It just does not work properly in giving directions, nor does it provide accurate time and the voice does not work, etc, etc. Buyer beware. My MAGELLAN is going in the closet until I feel a need for agravation. MUSKYJACK
8 REPLIES 8

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Passin' Through wrote:
navegator wrote:
I have the best navigation system that money can buy.

It is called a wife.

She has an incredible sence of direction (built in compass????)
She can read any map, topographical maps, navigation charts, etc.

Gives very good directions and even refills the coffy cup and or the sandwitch
while we are on the road.

So I am very lucky, I hope that all of you using all of those gadgets out there
stay out of trouble by being given erroneous directions.

Yes I tried a GPS system on the computer, and found that it had so many errors that it was practically usesless in cities or on mountain roads, it wanted to send us down a side of a mountain in Arizona that is used to launch hand gliders.

Good luck navigating with the GPS.

By the way it is not the GPS that is at fault but the programs, the persons that write the programs probablly get lost in theire own homes.

nave(i)gator

Big, big, BIG thumbs-up on that! My wife is my top-notch navigator. In addition, she makes sure I stay warm at night. Try THAT with your Garmin, etc.:B

We use the Garmin extensively but before we leave the house she can direct me to the city where the Garmin is most valuable. We have an Auto Club (AAA) membership for the benefits like the 1273 maps in her collection.

She does reciprocate and likes me because I'm not even hesitant when it comes to stopping and asking for directions especially to those places not on maps. It's a partnership and has been for 52 years next month.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:

It is called a wife.

Yes I tried a GPS system on the computer, and found that it had so many errors that it was practically usesless in cities or on mountain roads, it wanted to send us down a side of a mountain in Arizona that is used to launch hand gliders.

By the way it is not the GPS that is at fault but the programs, the persons that write the programs probablly get lost in theire own homes.

nave(i)gator

Big, big, BIG thumbs-up on that! My wife is my top-notch navigator. In addition, she makes sure I stay warm at night. Try THAT with your Garmin, etc.:B
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:

It is called a wife.

So I am very lucky

nave(i)gator

I just wish my wife could read a map. I guess that she isn't interested. :h
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am better off than most of you. DW loves to drive (in the daylight) she get the Garmin for both speed limits and directions, while I navigate with a laptop running SA2013 (still) and a GPS puck But I keep the Droid on line both to be my wire connection and provide a third advice for the route. It seems to know more about closures and construction than even the LMT Garmin. (And, I get to surf and chat while she drives.)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
We have our first trip scheduled for our new trailer. We're only driving about 2 hours to learn how to camp. Interestingly the campground in BIG letters on their website and on their em reservation confirmation said "GPS's are WRONG for our location! Don't follow a GPS to us. Follow our map."

So I guess we will. ๐Ÿ™‚
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer

It is called a wife.

nave(i)gator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some years ago one of the gadget-head mags did a comparasion of three top GPS units, in each case they picked the top of the line, Magellin, Tom-Tom and Garmin.

They rand 3 sample routes,, Same 3 routes, on all 3 GPS units.

In each case the Garmin picked a better route the driver using the Garmin got there first and the final turn was a RIGHT TURN into the parking lot.

Both Tom-Tom and Magellen picked longer, slower routes and had the driver turning LEFT into the parking lot (For cars right turns are safer).

I have a Garmin, hardly ever use it but I have a Garmin.. What do I use.

Well. I'm getting into Google Maps on my Android phone but my favorite long distance Nav-Aid is Microsoft Streets and Trips.. Since I messed up this widders 8.1 box last week I have to re-install it.. The CD is in the drive now awaying clickity click installation.. (I knew there was a reason I kept that CD)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
Cool... mine works just fine; not as many bells and whistles as my old Garmin but the Garmin quit and the Magellan was a gift..
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)