cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memorial Weekend Ruined

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left Refugio State Park hours before the spill and there were many campsites that were set up or were setting up for the Big Weekend.

Refugio Oil Spill
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
38 REPLIES 38

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
He left hours before the spill.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
While I agree that the significance of the impact on the environment is far greater than the impact on RVers, I don't think that means that RVers don't have any right to be disappointed that their holiday plans have been affected. The truth is, these oil spills have far reaching effects in many different ways - every impact should be vocalized if just to keep it in the public eye.

Iamichobad - I wonder if you spoke with the park officials, if they might consider letting folks willing to volunteer in cleaning up keep their reservations? It would let you have a place to stay, would provide additional help in the clean up, and provide you with the satisfaction of having done something to help.

Edited to use effects instead of affects...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Occupy your reserved campsite and volunteer to help cleanup, its still camping

Crowe wrote:
The weekend plans of a bunch of RVers is insignificant compared to the severity of the impact on the environment.

x 2.

X3
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Water-Bug wrote:
. RVERS need only drive 20 miles up or down the coast. There is always Walmart.

Sorry you are very wrong, there are no Walmarts that allow overnighting or any open camping spots for 100 miles in any direction on the coast.

Ok, so they have to drive two hours to find a campground. It's still insignificant. As a matter of fact, it's insignificant if they had to go home. The national news featured people who were going to the beaches to volunteer with the clean-up. I'm sure they'll appreciate the empty campsites.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The weekend plans of a bunch of RVers is insignificant compared to the severity of the impact on the environment.

x 2.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water-Bug wrote:
. RVERS need only drive 20 miles up or down the coast. There is always Walmart.

Sorry you are very wrong, there are no Walmarts that allow overnighting or any open camping spots for 100 miles in any direction on the coast.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
The weekend plans of a bunch of RVers is insignificant compared to the severity of the impact on the environment. RVers need only drive 20 miles up or down the coast. There is always Walmart.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's sad. In addition to the environmental damage, many people had their plans ruined.
And, it's probably too late to find somewhere else to spend the weekend.