cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mice mystery

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now, if I have your attention, maybe you have another perspective that will get me to the right answers. #1 The obvious question is how do mice get inside the trailer? #2 How can they get into the ceiling?

My fiver has been inside my steel RV garage for 2 months, now 2nd night on the road and I've got a mouse inside the ceiling. Not on the roof, but directly on the ceiling panel. Heard it last night in the bedroom and this morning further back toward the living room.

Doesn't seem logical for a mouse to go from the basement or living area up to the ceiling, especially with all the supplies we loaded into the trailer in the past week. And I can't see how a mouse could get on the roof to enter from above. And then once on the roof, how to get into the ceiling? I've come up with just one possibility. At the A/C, maybe chewing thru the gasket and then thru the A/C duct?

Anyway, help me solve this mystery.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos
20 REPLIES 20

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Scott,

Mice don't mind foam. Next time squeeze in some metal pot scrubbers with nice sharp edges before you foam.

ScottG wrote:
As far as the ceiling is concerned, When my TT was new I noticed the fiberglass cap extended down below the frame in front. It was actually open to the underside of the trailer and a mouse could have easily enter there, climbed up the thin insulation in the cap and gotten into the tiny attic in the ceiling.
I sealed the area up with spray foam.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
a mouse only needs a hole the size of a dime. and they can find away.

X 2 I know this from experience
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As far as the ceiling is concerned, When my TT was new I noticed the fiberglass cap extended down below the frame in front. It was actually open to the underside of the trailer and a mouse could have easily enter there, climbed up the thin insulation in the cap and gotten into the tiny attic in the ceiling.
I sealed the area up with spray foam.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Move a cat into your steel RV garage. Mice find their way in, cats find/scare mice. Cat food is cheaper than RV repairs. When I worked for a major phone company, I would encounter customers that had multiple issues with mice chewing wiring outside/under the home. If they owned a cat, I would advise them to dump their cat box near the site of the latest mouse on wireing attack. I rarely had a second call from customers that heeded my advice.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I've talked to a few mice and most of them said they climb onto the waste tank, shinny up the vent pipe and then relax in the ceiling cavity where it's nice and warm with plenty of bedding. Not one of them has said anything about how they are driven out but I guess those trapped or poisoned aren't around to tell the tale.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
a mouse only needs a hole the size of a dime. and they can find away.