cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving an RV ready to collapse

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
One of the challenges I have is I own a 1975 trailer that the box is rotten and ready to collapse. It should be fine, but I am worried one bad bump and over it goes. I need to get it 3 hours to my house to dispose of it safely.

How would you strengthen it to try to keep it together for the long trip?
28 REPLIES 28

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Just make sure your gopro is in focus :B

For the 4 hour drive? I don't think the battery will last that long. Besides, that is called evidence.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
swimmer_spe wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
talk to local fire dept ,could be used for fire training.

Lol. "Hey wanna practice rescuing someone from a burning rotten travel trailer that will probably collapse on you?"
Fire Chief: "Ummmm.....no"

And even if they did, it's not like they're going to clean up the mess. I suggested burning it where it sits. Same thing minus the "opportunity" for the FD.

Campground operator won't be too happy with that.

Yup different story if it's at a campground. Presume you've pushed on the side walls and they have some sway to them. Then yes a few judiciously placed sheets of plywood screwed to the walls as shear walls and possibly building an X frame inside and a couple big nylon ratchet straps may be in order.
2 sheets of 1/2" or less plywood/osb. 6 to 12 2x4s and 2 ratchet straps should hold together 8'-12' of trailer length where the walls are trying to parallelogram.

Good luck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:

Lol. "Hey wanna practice rescuing someone from a burning rotten travel trailer that will probably collapse on you?"

And even if they did, it's not like they're going to clean up the mess. I suggested burning it where it sits. Same thing minus the "opportunity" for the FD.

Campground operator won't be too happy with that.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:

Fire departments won't do that anymore.

Besides from the way this thing sounds it's either so soggy it wouldn't burn or it's so far gone that it would burn up before they could even get the hoses off the truck. Only training they'd get is in roasting hot dogs and marshmallows over the smouldering coals.

It is dry, but rotten.

And a fire department doing it is not what I need or want.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
midnightsadie wrote:

Fire departments won't do that anymore.

Besides from the way this thing sounds it's either so soggy it wouldn't burn or it's so far gone that it would burn up before they could even get the hoses off the truck. Only training they'd get is in roasting hot dogs and marshmallows over the smouldering coals.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Screw plywood to the sides in spots to act as a shear wall.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Assuming tires are good, (or you have some to put on), brakes and lights work, I would get some 2X4s and Heavy Duty tiedown straps. Build a frame inside to keep it from collapsing when you wrap it with straps and ratchet them down tight.

Tire are good.
bearings are good.
Brakes are good.
Lights work.

Would you only brace the bad area, or would you brace everything? I know one area, about the last 10 feet of the box is the bad area. The rest is not so bad.

If it is weak in 1 area I would run 2X4 (on edge) across as close as possible to ceiling. From there a couple of verticals up from above the frame. Add a diagonal or 2. Then run strap frame, over top, and back to frame on other side.
Note; I have hauled a lot of things, and from here it looks like this would secure it to haul. But often when on site plans must change.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Get 4 boards 2x4 make an x outside and an x inside run corner to corner bolt the two xs together thru the wall.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Assuming tires are good, (or you have some to put on), brakes and lights work, I would get some 2X4s and Heavy Duty tiedown straps. Build a frame inside to keep it from collapsing when you wrap it with straps and ratchet them down tight.

Tire are good.
bearings are good.
Brakes are good.
Lights work.

Would you only brace the bad area, or would you brace everything? I know one area, about the last 10 feet of the box is the bad area. The rest is not so bad.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
One of the challenges I have is I own a 1975 trailer that the box is rotten and ready to collapse. It should be fine, but I am worried one bad bump and over it goes. I need to get it 3 hours to my house to dispose of it safely.

How would you strengthen it to try to keep it together for the long trip?

Board it up with plywood.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you were looking for unilateral affirmation of what you are planning you came to the wrong place. Too many self-appointed Barney Fifes here all too ready to wag their fingers in your face and scold "No-no-no!"

You shore it exactly how you think it needs to be shored up. Most likely it will cost more in materials and time than it's worth. Lumber is expensive right now.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.