cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mud Flaps for Class C towing jeep

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
NEW jeep. Our Jayco class C has no mud flaps/rock guard currently and this is our first time towing.

Hubby says we will unhook and both drive on gravel roads (BLM lands...no alaska plans currently).

Any recommendations for something to protect my shiny red new jeep?
Donna
8 REPLIES 8

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stock mud flaps on the30' Cambia and towing a JK, no chips on the jeep. One person mounted a protective flap to close the gap between the front tire of the jeep and the bumper of the jeep. Not sure how that worked.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
No mud flaps, towing Full-time, NO chips.

The MH did have heavy duty mud flaps on it before I bought the toad and when I had a blow out the tire drove that thick mud flap clean thru my sewage bay and destroyed all the valves. Something to think about if your sewage bay is behind the rears.

So kinda glad a bad thing happened so I didn't have mud flaps when I started towing the toad. Talked to a lot of people and most say mud flaps cause more chips on a toad.

A lot of forum members swear by this product to prevent chips.

Looks pretty simple to put on and off.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have mud flaps right behind my rear wheels and a full width mud flap on the rear of the Class C. I have had very few problems with debris hitting the car.

It could be that the full width mud flap is further off the ground, or maybe I drive slower on unpaved roads. In any case, it works for me.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if the mud flap is getting all torn up, it probably hangs too low and thus kicks up road debris .
bumpy

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I would install dual tire mudflaps right behind the rear tires. This will stop rocks, etc where they need to. I've kept mine mounted at 4.5" off the ground - high enough to miss most things, but low enough to keep rocks, etc from getting kick-ed up.

The other is to get a rock shield that mounts on the front of the car (or on the tow bar). There's lots of different styles and types. All have drawbacks and advantages.

We had the protect-a-tow with our tow dolly years ago, and it help keep the rocks down off the car. Was very effective and you can store it in a small bag - advantage over the larger hard plastic.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
NEW jeep. Our Jayco class C has no mud flaps/rock guard currently and this is our first time towing.

Hubby says we will unhook and both drive on gravel roads (BLM lands...no alaska plans currently).

Any recommendations for something to protect my shiny red new jeep?
Donna

dcason,
There's been a few discussions on mud flaps and rock guards. There are some, especially Class A drivers who, have reported that with the full length rock/mud guard, have received more rock chips on their toads than without. Well, I kind-a have to go along with that train of thought. Long story short, we've towed our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab 4x4 several thousand miles WITH a full length mud flap. And, in that time, that truck has received hundreds of chips.

But, we purchased a used '15 Jeep JKUR almost a year ago and, as with all our previous Jeeps, intended on towing it. Well, just as an experiment, I removed that full length rock guard/mud flap. And, I installed new mud flaps behind my tires since the old ones were fairly torn up.

Well, after several thousand miles of towing that Jeep, not ONE CHIP has happened to that Jeep. So, that's just a side note here. But, did the new mud flaps help? Well, possibly. But, removing that full length one I think (pretty sure) was the trick. If I were you, yep, I'd either have nice, strong mud flaps installed or, install them yourself. It's not all that hard.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bedlam
I use adjustable Rock Tamer flaps off the end of the receiver.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine