cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with tow setup driving from NJ to TX

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
So i am moving from NJ to TX in a few weeks and i really dont want to put any mileage on my Jeep . I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Automatic , and i was thinking about using this to move it on since i dont want to drive it.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT

I am moving a bed, desk, 2 dressers, and clothing. So i am not packing up a lot of things to move but i will be renting a 14 or 16ft moving truck to haul my things. I was wondering if this combination will work ? The towing numbers look good on the moving trucks , im just not sure if the auto transport dolly will be okay with my Jeeps weight?

Would you guys advise i tow a different way or will i be safe? I am not in a rush, so i will drive carefully. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you !

I didnt know where to ask this but i figured this would be a good place.
6 REPLIES 6

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
aedubber wrote:
So i am moving from NJ to TX in a few weeks and i really dont want to put any mileage on my Jeep . I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Automatic , and i was thinking about using this to move it on since i dont want to drive it.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT

I am moving a bed, desk, 2 dressers, and clothing. So i am not packing up a lot of things to move but i will be renting a 14 or 16ft moving truck to haul my things. I was wondering if this combination will work ? The towing numbers look good on the moving trucks , im just not sure if the auto transport dolly will be okay with my Jeeps weight?

Would you guys advise i tow a different way or will i be safe? I am not in a rush, so i will drive carefully. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you !

I didnt know where to ask this but i figured this would be a good place.

We would normally call this a car trailer, not a dolly and the way I would go, if it was me.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The trailer listed has a load capacity of just over 5200 lbs., so no worries on weight for hauling your Jeep. Uhaul probably would not rent you a truck and trailer combo that was over capacity so you should be fine there.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
My Jeeps weight is 4660 . I plan on keeping it on E gas wise to save weight there. Yes , it will be a 1 time tow with the dolly i posted.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
If it is going to be a one time tow, then rent a trailer like the one you posted and be done with it.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Do not believe you can use a car dolly to tow a jeep. If you can put the transfer case in neutral you can probably tow it 4 wheels down, or you can trailer it. But don't believe you can use a dollyput.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky

Don't know what your Jeep Grand Cherokee weighs but I hauled a Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 on one behind a 26ft box truck 1200 miles with no problems.
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute